1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Tablet PCs

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by T-Dawg135, Feb 26, 2011.

1. T-Dawg135

T-Dawg135 New Member

With the recent trend in Tablet PCs (e.g. iPad) I think that it would be a great idea to make d20 Pro VGT compatible with these new and useful devices. Things like Character Sheets, Hand Outs, and other relevant information could be sent to the Tablet, freeing up the large screen for the other things. This would be especially useful if multiple players have to share a display. With a tablet they wouldn't have to take mouse or screen time from the other players. Anything that you might want to look at between turns should be visible on a tablet, that way you don't interfere with anyone else's turn. Obviously you wouldn't want to display the entire software on a Tablet, because of the limited screen real estate, but just some of the essentials would be nice. Also, because it would be best if everyone had their own tablet, it would be really nice if tablets were treated as players with regards to how the software received them. That way, you wouldn't have to get 5 player/guest accounts for all of the tablets, in addition to any player/guest accounts that you need to view the maps.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Tablet gaming client would be a really nice addition to any virtual tabletop. The only real hurtle is the programming language used on those devices. All Tablets and Phones utilize Javascript and may or may not include all features from full Java, which is what d20Pro is built upon.

One option is to build from the ground-up using native language of the Tablet or Phone OS, however, this would require a huge investment of time.

Another option is have the Tablet or Phone login to a virtual machine that can run a full version of Java, such as AlwaysOnPC, this machine runs in the cloud environment utilizing Linux/RedHat OS and is available to use on AndroidOS and iOS devices. However, programs require a slight change to operate under this environment, which the developers would have to address if this is a viable option. It also costs each user money to utilize AlwaysOnPC service. On an iOS device it will cost each user approx $25, and using the AndroidOS it will cost each user approx $20.

Developer intro page: http://www.alwaysonpc.com/partners.php

This is just an informational post.
    This option currently will not work, however, it may in the future if the developers believe this to be a viable option to pursue this avenue.

3. Dan

Dan Member

4. ChrisRevocateur

So I know that nothing has been done to put d20Pro on Android or iOS. I'm wondering though, if d20Pro would work on a Windows 7 powered tablet. I heard somewhere that any program that you can use in Windows you can use on a Windows tablet.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure, you could use a Windows Tablet PC (like a laptop that you can twist the screen around and lay it flat to use as a tablet) running a full version of Windows (most likely running 2000, XP, Vista, or 7).
    You could probably run d20Pro on the new Windows Surface (when it comes out), if it runs with a full version of Windows 8. http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

This tablet looks like it has a lot of potential, I'm not recommending the product at all, just find it interesting:
    Acer Iconia 484G64ns

6. ChrisRevocateur

So this wouldn't work then?

Skytab S-series Windows 7 Tablet PC with ExoPC UI

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

8. ChrisRevocateur

Okay. It was this part of your statement: "(like a laptop that you can twist the screen around and lay it flat to use as a tablet)" that confused me then.

9. ismails

ismails New Member

hi T-Dawg135, i do agree with your comments.