1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Talk window

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Virgil, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Well, after weeks of fiddling with d20Pro, then creating NPCs and maps, I ran my first game on Monday night, dipping my feet in the shallow end with a short adventure and two players. We decided to give the game a trial run before buying the licenses.

How did it go? Well, I bought my Judge license first thing yesterday, if that's any indication of how successful it was. My players all had a great time, too.

But I do have a question... why does the Talk window go away after I use it? Whenever I want to have an in-character conversation, I have to keep pressing the T key to bring up the Talk window. Is there any way to keep it from disappearing? I love how it has different options aside from the just "say" and how it clearly differentiates between OOC chatter and IC conversations in the game log, but I really wish I could keep that Talk window on screen at all times. Or maybe I'm just too talkative as a DM. :D

2. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Utilize quick-keys to manage it quicker. Select whomever you wish to talk with and hit "T" then type in your comments and ctrl+s.

3. Virgil

Virgil New Member

Thanks, Tharck, that does help! Keeping my fingers on the keyboard does make the process go a lot faster. One of my players also said she kept multiple talk windows open, but I don't have quite as much real estate in my Decision window to do that with other things going on as a DM.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Have you tried using the game log to talk? It will stay open and you can send messages to just one player if you like.

Also if you are a talkative DM, which is good in my opinion, instead of doing everything through text use skype. It is free and then you can talk with ease and give your fingers a break.

5. Virgil

Virgil New Member

We actually used Mumble for voice chat, which worked really well, but we decided to keep the voice chat for OOC use only. It was, of course, used for the usual random off subject chatter that dominates the first half hour of a game. :D But we also used it for descriptions and questions. This was especially helpful because one of the players isn't very familiar with the d20 system, so it was easier to handle questions and clarify things over voice rather than typing things out.

We liked using character talk in d20Pro for IC conversations because it keeps a log (always handy for writing character journals later) and there's a clear distinction of which character is talking, which you don't get using the regular chat in the game log. That's not a necessary distinction when there's just one player controlling one character, but when I have multiple NPCs engaged in a conversation, it helps a lot.