1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Teamspeak v Skype

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by templar12, Dec 6, 2012.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

My little d20pro group has been using Skype for the past umpty years, if you are using Teamspeak, why and what advantages does it have over Skype :?:

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Teamspeak allows you to create virtual rooms that you can drag-drop your players in (in case you want to personally tell something to a select group/individual to add to roll-playing). Also there are other neat features like this that you can't do with Skype. Though, Skype usually has better voice quality overall.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I don't know about that.. Most people do not take the time to edit the channel props and use the high end voice codexes..
    Lazy server admins :)

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, why I put the qualifier:
    Just like you did:
    :)

5. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Any voice-over-IP program is better than none at all. You can't go wrong with any of them as the ability to talk rather than just type when gaming is essential.

Teamspeak 3 and Ventrilo are both setup with voice communication as the focus. They are compact, low overhead, low bandwidth programs as they normally run in the background for people playing online video games. They both work extremely well with over a hundred simultaneous users. Ventrilo used to be the gold standard and now that has shifted to TS3. The sound quality in TS3 is superior to all other products on the market -- if you aren't setting it up properly, that's not a fault of the program but rather user error. Both programs have overlays that can float on top of everything that show who is talking. I used Ventrilo for many years and have been use TS3 nightly now for the last 2-3 years for several hours every night. Both are rock solid but TS3's sound quality is better.

TS3 and Ventrilo take some work to setup. They have server options. They allow file transfers and text chatting. They can be left up and running indefinitely.

I personally don't use Skype. It's focus is different. It can make audio calls but it's also for videoconferencing. It's versatile and being able to see people may be important to some folks. But my impression is that it's not as compact as dedicated voice solutions. My workplace (large university) has banned Skype on its network. I'm not in IT so I don't know the details but the gist of their reasoning was due to its insecurity and exploitability.

Skype is fairly easy to setup.

I don't use Google Hangouts, but that may be another option. Adobe Connect may also be a (pricier) option.

6. templar12

templar12 Member

Thank you for your insights! I went to the TS3 site, looked it over a little, a little intimidating. I am tech-capable, but skype is just a lot more "plug and play".... Maybe I will look into TS3 a little more and try it out. I do like being able to instantly pull someone aside and only chat with them...kinda like the old days of "let's go into the other room" during DM play encounter separate from the group! Voice is all we need....