1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Testing Spells and Confused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajax, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax New Member

While playing around with program I set up an Encounter with a Party and a Few Monsters. I was able to do attacks with out any trouble, but when casting a spell I wasn't getting any result, Magic Missile was cast and removed from the Wizard's spell list but there was no indication of anything actually happening, would it be up to the GM to have to roll the damage or is there some configuration you need to perform?

2. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

The online help for the program is very useful, with screenshots.

Also, there are different forum posts which describe how to set up "effects".

I'm still learning the program, but I have set up spell effects which are very helpful to me.

For spells and/or abilities, you can set effects:

- The name (I often add notes to the name for quick reference, such as range, special not-auto-applied effects, etc.)

- Number of times can be used (at will, day, encounter, charges, etc.)

- If you click on the effect (default "inert"), you can specify a duration, a saving throw (type, number, 1/2 or negates), and various +/- modifiers to attack/damage, abilities, defense, etc. You can also specify temp, ongoing and instantaneous damage or healing by clicking "diced" in the damage tab. Note: you can set up a healing spell here (type healing, 3d8+9 for example) or damage (type fire, 8d6, Ref DC 19 half for example).

When you select the spell/ability and apply the effect, you can select targets. You can also do this with the Game Tools area of effect templates (line, cone, burst, etc.). Then the Judge can accept or modify/remove what creatures are affected. With the effect and save set up, the saves and damage can easily be applied to multiple creatures!

I downloaded the Pathfinder bestiary from forum post here, selected and saved all of the creatures, and they have abilities and attacks set up. It was a Hellhound that showed me the diced damage attack type for his breath weapon.

Much info is in the help manual.