1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Text file/box for GM notes

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Nighteagle, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

I would like to request a simple window where I can have an open text box in game (with the possibility of saving multiple files) where I can have "GM Notes". Currently, to run my games, I type out my notes in Notepad, and I have Notepad open in the background while I am running (to remember what NPC are likely to say or know, when to ask characters to make skill checks, etc.). However, obviously, every time I click on something in d20, my notepad file disappears. It would be nice to have an "in-game" notepad that would not disappear, which would make referring to it easier.
    Nighteagle

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

You could use a creature that you keep invisible and put in its note section all the details about a room.

Keep them invisible and for the picture you can use number(aka the room/area number)

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

This is precisely what I do.

There is an invisible creature (actually a "Checker") in every area of interest. It's description includes all of my notes, as well as indicating which handouts I have prepared, etc.

4. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

Hmm, it seems a little bit clunky, but I'll give it a try when I run my game this Saturday.
    Nighteagle

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

You can also use the "handout" feature. My "checkers" also include the index of handouts for a specific area.

6. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

Ok, I tried using the suggested methods for keeping track of my notes in my game last night with the following results:

1. Having a "note" icon wasn't a bad idea, it kept my notes easily available during the game. I created an invisible 10 x 10 foot icon with a big red exclamation point on a white background for easy visibility on the map. Getting into it took a few clicks too many, click on icon, click "E", click on notes tab, but once I was there it was ok.

2. It would be nice to have a text space that could use simple formating, like bold, underline, italics, this would make important parts of my notes stand out more.

3. I biggest problem came after the game was done and I was cleaning up D20. I like to delete maps from the drop down list that I am not currently using, but by doing so I am also deleting the creature icon that contained my game notes (or placing it in Limbo). Then I end up with a whole list of exclamation point icons in Limbo, which doesn't seem like the best storage place either. I could save them back to the library, but again, same long list.

So, in the long run, using a creature icon for a simple text box for notes is an ok idea, but I would still really like a "Notes" dialog box that I could save seperate files with notes for particular maps or adventures.

Nighteagle

7. Dan

Dan Member

Just curious: why delete the maps? It doesn't save much space as the resources for the map are still in your folders. You can give maps "modules" and then organize them easily that way, so your list stays short.

Just wondering.

8. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

Hmm, probably because I didn't realize I could put them into modules, it was mostly to keep the list short...started getting too hard to manage when I had too many maps. I'll have to look into that. I'm mostly learning through "doing", so I'm definatelly still finding "surprise" features of the program :)

I know I'm being annoying, but I'd still really like a text box for game notes...I started typing a notepad file again for my next game (I run every other Saturday).

9. Dan

Dan Member

I noted the need for a more refined marker system. We'll see if we can squeeze it in.