1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about purchasing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trefold, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Trefold

Trefold New Member

Hello everyone. I've had this site bookmarked for awhile, one of the many useful programs I've found while searching for gaming tools. However I just now got around to actually looking into it. I downloaded and activated my trial program, figured I'd throw a 20 day campaign together, use the first 10 days to put the campaign together then run it a couple hours a night for my current gaming group. However after experimenting a bit I'm slightly hesitant to pay money for this. Honestly the program works, I don't have much of a problem with that, but the community is what gets me. Most of these forum threads and topics seem dead. Is there by chance somewhere else the people playing d20 pro meet? Also I noticed in most of the advertisements it claims that you can play nearly any game type using this, yet the coding is set up strictly for d20 and nowhere in the forums or the instructions does it tell you how to mod it for anything else. One of 'sealing the deal' games that was pushed in the trailer was Zombies! And although I have found the downloadable tiles and that for the game there is no explanation of how to mod the rules or anything to actually play on here.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

To...busy....gaming.....

Seriously, Greetings.

As of recently (the last week) a few of the threads are a bit un-posted. I would account this to the beginning of summer and maybe just being busy running games. I do not know for certain, but that is my best guess. If you look at the tome stamps on most of the Topics, you will see they are regularly posted on in general time. Also you may notice a good bit of Dev input and assistance. I can only speak for myself and my personal experiences with D20PRO. I literally could not game without it. All of my players are scattered around the country, and until I began using D20PRO, I could only be a player, looking down on a blurry map through a Skype window. Now I am running a campaign. Yes it is tailored toward D20 games. Fortunately, there are a lot of D20 game systems, and due to most of the input being changeable in simple text files (Skills, Classes, Feats and Spells) home-brew is easy enough to implement. I have received a lot of assistance from the D20PRO Community, and I have never had a negative encounter with anyone on these forums. The Devs listen to us. They actually utilize our input to better the system. As for other, non D20 games, it may take a bit of work around to get that in place. I personally have wanted to run a WEG Star Wars Game, and it requires a D6 system and completely different mechanic for play. I believe that if I asked enough questions, and put some creative work around on it, I could get it to work.

D20PRO is a great system, and you only pay for it once.

My 2 cents.

3. neofax

neofax New Member

I own d20Pro and 6 seat license. For playing d20 games it is really good and just getting better. I however prefer using MapTools to play as it supports a plethora of games. As for the forum posts, this site is normally pretty active with a great community. People are helpful and willing to lend a hand when people ask. The developers not only watch the board, but respond and use the software themselves and want to make it better. So, spending the money to only play a game a week for one year is more cost effective than other forms of entertainment. Plus, it is paid for for life.

4. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

I am of the same opinion as you,and the things I have noticed are this.

D20pro is probably the least used out of the Big VTT's with Maptools probably taking the majority of the players. Free seems to be a huge selling point with a lot of the people.Although I would have gladly paid two to three times for D20pro than what I did.

A lot of people using D20pro and other VTT's have long established groups they play with so they do not really advertise or look for players for games. And if they are not having issues with the program or looking for players they do not come here and post.

The internet and online in general is full of wakos and flakes (just look at me) and I have found it quite difficult at time to actually get games up and running. I usually get a lot of people saying they want to play but when the time to play actually rolls around they do not show up or drop out of games with no notice.

I have had much better luck finding players on sites like Enworld,Pen and Paper Games and Shattered Web.In the two current games I am running I do not think anyone playing came from reading these forums. Although I am currently playing in two games that I found on these forums.

Those are just a few observations I have made. I love D20pro and will continue to use it over any of the other VTT's out there. It is just like anything else on the internet, hit or miss.

5. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Try the 30-Day Trial. Find a group. Play some.

6. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Trefold,

Thanks for taking a look at d20Pro and offering your feedback on the forums and the d20Pro community at large. Also thanks to Golkiwu, neofax, bigkilla, and Tharck for including their perspectives.

I'll speak for a minute about the the d20Pro Team: we are all hard-core gamers and friends who pursue our gaming passion on nights and weekends while working day jobs to pay the bills (like a great many must I imagine :geek: ). Still we are dedicated to making d20Pro the best virtual tabletop available because we use it for our own games and for everyone like you reading this forum right now. My point is this is only the beginning.

The forums are mainly for discussing best practices using the software and for reporting bugs. We have provided a few places to advertise and look for games but your best bet for finding people to game with are sights like those already mentioned or I would also recommend our friends at infrno.net. There are a lot of d20Pro games going on over there and it's still in a free beta.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the d20Pro continues to grow by leaps and bounds. Every day multiple people are buying licenses. And many of these are Full+6, so that means DMs are sharing the software with a lot of players. So things will continue to improve, both in terms of software features plus a strong community. So d20Pro is here to stay and we look forward to your company now or in the future. See you on the game grid!

P.S. I just got back from PaizoCon (which rocked) and am looking forward to GenCon and NeonCon. If you will be at either of those shows definitely send me a PM so we can meet up or drop by the d20Pro booth.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

Plus I will be at Play On Con and Dragon Con if you go to either of those cons and want to talk to one of the developers in person.