1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Timed templates

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by magnetord, Aug 15, 2016.

1. magnetord

magnetord New Member

It would be nice to have the ability to lay down a template as a player that goes away after player turn is done.

IE. I cast fireball. The template player puts down doesn't need to stick around after temporary effect.

Also Player casts Fog Cloud. After 3 rounds template disappears as the cloud disappates

Tay-Dor likes this.
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

That's a good suggestion and would be pretty handy stuff right there...

3. Mickey

Mickey Member

Could that be extended to applying conditions and buffs on PCs/NPCs? e.g. a PC becomes blinded for 3 rounds on round 2. The condition is applied to the token and, after 3 rounds, automatically goes away. I've lost count of the number of times I've forgotten to remove a condition or buff when it expires.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You can already set Ability/Effects to a duration (min/hrs/rounds) etc. on the bottom of the creation window is a drop down and input box.

kimco likes this.
  5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

This is built and being finalized actually.

Check it out :)

Feature Library - Repeat effect on caster initiative.gif

The damage and saves are not functioning exactly right in this build (thus not handing it out yet). But this is part of the Feature Library update that's slated for late this month/early next month.

Current event triggers to cause effects to occur include:

On Casters Initiative -- effect is recalculated or reapplied at the beginning of the casters init.
    On Target Initiative -- effect is recalculated or reapplied at the beginning of the targets init.
    On Stay -- effect is applied to target if they end their turn in the area
    On Enter -- effect is applied to target when they enter the area
    On Exit -- effect is applied to target when they exit the area

These triggered effects can be combined in various ways to create things like Cloudkill or difficult terrain.

Additionally, Features can "use templates" which are defined in the feature with a color (currently visible to all, but will eventually use a GM visibility toggle). The template can then be designated to use Duration. The result is an area which will persist for the duration of the effect then auto-remove itself when the duration is over. Currently there is a bug where the template persists until the start of the caster's initiative after the last calculation is applied. This is more annoying than problematic though. We should be able to fix it that behavior as well!

The purpose for the independent duration toggle for template use is to allow for a burst effect to target tokens but not continuously target them. When a trigger and a duration are in use on an effect, the results are recalculated (re-rolled) each time the trigger condition is met. For effects which simply hit once and the effect stays (mass bull strength) The template is used once then discarded, however, the effect persists for the duration.

Okay, that the brief look at the feature library and how it solves the proposed feature request!

kimco likes this.
  6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, forgot to mention that Status/Condition markers on targets can also be set with the current Feature Library implementation. If you are hit by something that blinds you and the folks around you, you'll get the penalties and the status icon on your character until either the duration ends or the effect is removed (healed, etc.)

Tay-Dor likes this.
  7. magnetord

magnetord New Member

That is all awesome stuff!

8. Mickey

Mickey Member

I can't find any of that. What I'm doing at the moment is selecting the token to apply the ststus effect to, pressing 'U'. Then I tick the box of the effect I want e.g. "stunned". and click 'OK'. I can't find any way to set a duration.

Can you give me a step-by-step for doing that?

9. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I think you're talking about two different things. Kril is, I believe, talking about the duration on the abilities, while you are talking about status markers, which currently don't have a timer.

10. Mickey

Mickey Member

Well, in that case, I don't feel so stupid for not being able to find it :p

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It's a bit muddled trying to express complex ideas in forums sometimes. Text is lacking in a lot of ways, even tho we have been using it for as long as we have. Things can still be read wrong or taken the wrong way or not as intended. text lack physical expression that is 40% of communication. and without that the mind will actually imagine and make up that physical expression to go along with the conveyance. Hence why Radio-Plays were so popular in the 50's..

anyhoot, I get way off topic... Right, seem we were thinking of two different things..