1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Tool-tip/created unit differs from Edit Creature sheet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obloerick, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Obloerick

Obloerick New Member

background - So I have copied and converted the D&D 3.5 OGL folder into a D&D 4e folder.

I am converting my pen-and-paper WoTC H1 module into d20Pro. I am creating all the monsters from scratch and fleshing out all the skills, abilities, attacks etc. It's going along famously except for this:

I made the Kobold Minion. Gave him his armor and all. On the Edit Creature screen for his AC it shows AC15. I fudged the numbers around for that to show as his AC would really be 17 with all the items and whatnot he has. To fudge it I simply made his natural armor -2 and wa la! the 17 is a 15. All is right in the universe. As I was placing units on the map I noticed that the hover-over tool tip for the minion said AC17. So I tested the tool tip and sure enough when I attack the minion his AC is 17. So I checked the Edit Creature screen again but it says AC15. It appears the -2 natural armor I gave him does not translate to the table top.

Now I do realize this is splitting hairs for the most part, as I can fudge the Armor number by -2 to to achieve the same thing but... It seems that it *SHOULD* work how I was trying it....

Is there something I might be missing on this? Is there a better way? Does the system not take into account negative numbers for the AC (or other things for that matter)?

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I don't think I've ever put a negative number into an AC slot so I can't answer this off-hand. Let me take a look into this for you.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

d20Pro does not have logic to handle negative ACs.

This is because no game system has real negative AC.

If you want an AC 15 on the creature set the Armor value to 15. If you do not want the dex to modify their AC set max dex to 0.

Negative AC may be throwing off the logic, we may have some area's covered and other not, like the hover tool tip. When you attack does it show it with a 15 AC or 17?

4. Obloerick

Obloerick New Member

The roll is against AC17 - which matches the Tool-tip but not the logic I put into the Edit Creature sheet.

It's odd that the Edit Creature sheet processes the logic fine but it doesn't translate to the table top when the creature is placed.

Again, there are many ways to get around this and I was just trying to make is as "realistic" to the pen and paper as I can. It really all washes out the same in the end, it's just not perfect. ;)

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Make sure that you set the "from dexterity value" to 0.

Set the first armor entry to "5".

Remove all other armor entries.

The Kobold will have an AC of 15.