1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Transfering in characters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flames0042, Feb 19, 2010.

1. flames0042

flames0042 New Member

I have my players create characters with the DDI char creator from wizards.com. I imported the characters but found a couple of things lacking that I assume are just not coded in with the current version and wanted to ask about it. Keeping in mind we are running a 4th edition game.

Their abilities show up on the list but they don't actually do anything unless you tell them to. Healing surges are one example. I have to alter is so that the effect of the ability is in the game.

Is there a plan to code in a means for the abilities to translate better? The result is that my friends are I use the abilities we more or less just use d20pro to keep track of how many of the per day abilities we have used and as DM I manually just heal/damage mobs.

This abilities issue is also why we create custom dice and roll them rather than use the attack/resolution with d20pro. Because of what we find are limitations it turns out to be quicker to make the alterations to the dice rolls ourselves because of how many temp buffs/debuffs are involved.

This is the nature of 4th ed of course, not the fault of the software, so to speak.

One useful thing in the future I guess would be make the effects of the abilities a bit more robust. 4th edition requires a bit more than what d20pro offers atm.

On another note, my friends and I have only had 2 real test sessions with the software and we will likely be buying it in the near future. We LOVE that we can stop combat at any time, save the map, and come back to it whenever. That is awesome. Can't do that easily irl.

Anyhow, any tips on the concerns I raised would be great.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Hey flames,

The importer is being tweaked as I type and getting a tune up, but I don't think we will build in actual numerical values for effects any time soon. The sheer number of possible effects is enormous and the logic behind it would take time to code that we need to spend on other things. That being said, I run 4E with the software all the time and I have some solutions for you.

First, the Healing surges and Second wind should have effects built into them. Use the Healing surge, target your guy, and it should heal the right amount. Likewise, Second Wind gives a +2 AC & defense bonus, but it does not heal because technically Second Wind allows you to use a healing surge and buffs you - it does not heal you itself. This is an important distinction because you still have to burn a healing surge.

Other abilities are easy to code in or just remember on the fly without having to program them (just like you do at the table). For example, Priest's Shield grants a +1 AC bonus to an ally for 1 round. Go to the abilities tab and click the Edit button, then give it the +1 modifier and set a 1 round duration.

On the other hand, Lance of faith gives 1 person a bonus to hit the target you hit. That's very specific, hard to program into an effect, and yet pretty easy to remember. Make use if your game log or chat (which will be combined into one in the next release) and make a reminder if you need. Type: Fred +2 to hit BBEG next attack! Then leave it up to the players to remember small bonuses (like in RL).

I would strongly encourage you to stick to the attacks in the system because they are much faster than custom dice and also are affected by effects. They also roll to hit & apply damage all in one action.

Once you have characters in the software, by the way, it's usually easy to edit them when they level up - you don't often have to re-import them. So once you set an effect for something like Sacred Flame's Temp hit points, it's permanent. To be absolutely certain, save the character to the library.

Finally, I want to invite you to sign up for one of my 4E monthly games - the next one is the Ruins of the Moathouse. I can show you how I run 4E and how much d20pro can simplify your workflow. Also, you can hammer me with questions and "what if's" all you want. :)

3. flames0042

flames0042 New Member

Thanks for info. When will the monthly game be? I would be down for coming to that.

4. Dan

Dan Member