1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to create new maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smiley686, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Smiley686

Smiley686 New Member

Ok, I just finished editing a map that I'll be using for my game and when I try to create the map using a file, nothing happens. No error message, no program crash, nothing. If anyone can help with this issue it would be much appreciated, thank you.

Smiley

2. Smiley686

Smiley686 New Member

Never mind I figured out what it was. Java just released an update that somehow screwed with the program. Might want to look in to a possible fix if anyone else is having the same problem.

smiley

3. theko

theko New Member

same problem here...

which java version did you use?

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Smiley686, theko,

Hmm. So you got it to work by reverting the Java version or did it start working with the newer version? I'd definitely like to know the Java version and OS you are using so we can track this down.

Also if you feel comfortable sharing your map file I will attempt to reproduce locally. Please PM me a link to the file or I will provide my email in the reply if it's small enough to send.

5. Smiley686

Smiley686 New Member

I had to revert to Java version 6.0.200.2

The new version is what screwed everything up. Hope this clarifies things.

Smiley

6. Smiley686

Smiley686 New Member

Oh and I'm using Windows 7 for the OS.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Issue is with Java Version 6 Update 26 and the Import from File feature on Windows.

d20Pro Import from File works with Java Version 6 Update 25
    You may uninstall Java update 26 to revert to your previous version.

If you are interested you can download all previous updates and older versions of Java:
    http://www.oldapps.com/java.php - easy to find java downloads
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html - direct from oracle, includes all java related software. Select Standard Edition (Java SE) JDK/JRE -6

8. phloog

phloog Member

Okay..is there an actual FIX on the way for this that doesn't require reverting?...I have other software that is asking for newer Java, and so I'm unwilling to revert something that impacts potentially multiple apps for this.

I get that Java is the thing that changed, but since nothing in my system depends on d20Pro, and LOTS in my system depends on Java, Java wins.

Hopefully someone is working on this.....?

9. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

We have the fix in testing right now and it will be included in our next release. Since we have a fairly major release coming we've included it with that instead of putting out a patch right after testing with just this fix in it.

10. trundell

trundell New Member

Daggeth, I hate to be a bit whiney here but I wasn't informed on Friday when I purchased the program that I'd have to wait and inderminate amount of time before I could put the program to use! Like others here I can't roll back Java because of other program needs.

Is there a release date estimate at least? I have 2 other players that need to buy licenses but I've told them to hold off because I can't make maps! I'm now losing ground on my arguement to move to this program for our 2 campaigns.

11. ziku

ziku New Member

Yes, yes. I am in agreement with trundell. Just bought the program today and now I find out I can't import anything from a file. Basically, it's unusable to me for the campaign I am currently in. Any guess on the date of new release so I can find out when I can use the program?

12. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I don't have a hard release date, let me talk to some of the devs and I'll find out more information.

13. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Update 26 only fixes one issue with the program Filemaker (java release notes) (filemaker bug fixed) along with security updates that affected some business clients.

If you use Filemaker or don't want to roll-back java version, here is the current work-around:
    1. Open the image you wish to use as your map in a graphic editing program (like GIMP, or Photoshop).
    2. Select All.
    3. Copy.

Now, inside d20Pro..
    4. Create new map From Clipboard.
    5. Proceed as usual.

14. trundell

trundell New Member

I immediately tried that and was greetd by a horizontal black box with a text in the upper left hand corner that said something to the effect that photoshop image is too large. I rolled back Java to 22 for the weekend. Found it solved the map issue.

I still have an issue with importing portraits for characters. Is it me or the program? It displays after selecting but clicking the green check button it claims it can't save the image. My work around for that is to use the lower res porttraits through Hero Lab. Of course the ultimate work around will be a return to pen and paper ;)

Since Mindgene knew about the bug before we purchased I think we expected a little heads up. I spent too much time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Remember its the first time I'm trying to do it, so the first thought is that I'm doing something wrong, not the program! And I had to do multiple searches to find this topic when I did decide that it wasn't me, and then be told to roll back other software? An inauspicious start and opposite of the feelings of joy I know you guys want people to experience. Suggestion: "Known issues" sticky forum. Going threw the forums I notice a couple more "yeah, we're getting to that" Help the new guys understand what's a program limitation and what's just plain broken (for now).

So with that tepid rant out of the way. We had a lot of fun with it last night. I wish the FoW/vision blocking worked like MapTools but there's so much stuff D20Pro is doing better that we'll stick to it and wait for those updates!

15. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Trundell, all I can say is you're right, we certainly could have done better in communicating this issue to new customers. Your suggestion is a good one and something I'll be working on. Thank you for being calm and actually making a good suggestion in your rant instead of just going off on what I'm sure was a frustrating experience.

I'm really glad that you were still able to have a good gaming session with d20Pro last night. You're not the only person who's asked for a better FoW system and that is one of our top priorities right now.

16. trundell

trundell New Member

Daggeth, thanks! Keep up the great work!

17. Balladeer

Balladeer New Member

Please let us know when that new release is ready. And are we going to have to do anything besides just download the update?

18. Balladeer

Balladeer New Member

Keep up the good work guys and thanks for teaming up with HeroLab... really makes life easier. Looking forward to the Java fix, sorry for the double post. :oops:

19. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

I have developed Java apps for years and supported production environments with multiple versions of Java.

You can definitely have multiple development kits (JDK) installed.

It is typical to set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to your preferred virtual machine (JVM). However, you can override that in command files, from a command prompt, etc.

I already tweak the d20Pro 64-bit start-up bat file to have a larger min/max memory setting.

For another example, I run a 32-bit SVN client on my 64-bit Vista and Win 7 rigs, and I needed to tweak their start-up files to find a 32-bit JRE sitting in another Java app's install directory, because the client couldn't run with the 64-bit JRE that was installed in my system as THE Java run-time.

So this can be done. You could have the _25 JRE sitting somewhere else and point d20Pro to it, while all of your other Java apps find the default _26 fine.

Sometimes, it's a simple as changing a %JAVA_EXEC% parameter in a start-up file to be equal to a different java instance rather than the default.

Example (some places you can do Unix/Java forward slash '/' instead of windows backslash '\'):

set JAVA_EXEC=c:/jdk1.6.0_25/bin/java

Instead of just

set JAVA_EXEC=java

You could type something like the following from a command prompt to test that your system can run your alternate.

(to see your default)
    java -version

(to test an alternate)
    C:\>C:\jdk1.6.0_25\bin\java -version
    java version "1.6.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

(to change default at a command prompt, or at system level environment settings--may require reboot for everything to see the changes--until changed)
    set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.6.0_25
    set PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

(test)
    echo %JAVA_HOME%
    echo %PATH%

Post any questions you have if searching the Web doesn't provide an answer, and someone should be able to help.

20. maxwell

maxwell New Member

I am unable to load/create maps as well. I uninstalled the newest version of Java and installed the older update and still cannot load/create maps. When I click on the maps tab in the library I get the message 'Failed to accessStoredMaps'. I get the same error when I try to create a raw map as well.