1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to determine Public IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigkilla, May 28, 2011.

1. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Today this has started happening.Under the judge option and find Ip it says it cannot find a Ip for my game. My players are still able to connect with my IP address but D20pro can find one for me. Not really a big issue but just thought I would throw that out there.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I had the same thing happen to me last night. Nothing seemed to fix it.
    I used Can You See Me from the Port Forwarding guide to get it and verify my connectivity.
    Game functioned well, just no Public IP.

3. Tharck

Tharck New Member

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

Ut oh, I wonder if the way we are getting IP addresses is not functioning anymore.

I will look into this tonight hopefully.

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

I know the issue now. The free service were using changed the URL I was using to determine the IP address. Whatismyipaddress.com made a change on 5-25-2011.

I will update the code with the new link and we will get a new build out as soon as possible.

6. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Thanks for the quick update.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

We will try to get this out as fast as we can, but any code changes require a testing phase (which will take longer then the code change)

8. dmhops

dmhops New Member

Any update on this?

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

Code is in, under test right now to ensure we did not add bugs accidentally. It will be released soon.

10. dmhops

dmhops New Member

I'm going to ask again. How far is this from getting fixed? We have a friend that plays from out of state. I bought this program so he can see the maps better.

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

In the meantime, you can either use:

http://www.canyouseeme.org

OR

http://www.whatismyip.com

Both will tell you what your Public IP is.

12. Teh Bagder

Teh Bagder New Member

Might want to sticky this ASAP, especially in light of d20ProCon coming up. I was on Infrno last night and help a couple of folk get set up.

13. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Stickified as per good suggestion.

14. phloog

phloog Member

Going to "What is my ip address" I was able to see one, but when I use it on another machine connected to my wireless network, it cannot find the judge. I have instructed all firewalls and such to allow D20Pro on the judge...what else could be going on?

Is there any kind of diagnostic program that can be run that can trace data from one to the other?

The bummer is after a positive experience at GenCon, I think I'm once again going back to Klooge or FG, because while I'm not a fan of their UI, I am able to get them working on my network with zero hassles...regardless of how pretty or feature rich, the program that can actually connect a DM and players wins at my house.

Thanks,
    JT

15. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Your Public IP is not needed inside a Home (closed) Network. You need the IP that the Options tab can give you, that should be your IP inside your Network.

16. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

phloog, if you'd like to shoot me an email I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot any connection problems you're having.

17. phloog

phloog Member

Golkiwu,

When I click on that option to see my IP, the error window often mention pops up, telling me that it is unable to determine the IP for me, as noted throughout this thread, I believe. If I clear the error, there is an IP provided by D20Pro, but using this IP does NOT work on the other (Player) machine I'm using for testing.

To clarify:

1) Using the IP provided by d20Pro does not work - Player machine says that it is unable to find a judge at that IP - this IP DOES match the IP that is assigned by the wireless router...I would think that it would be AWESOME if it did use that one, because ALL my players/machines will be in the same room for 99.9% of my games - we're just using the machines for screens, to give control, and for whispers/chat.

2) I WAS able to get it to work finally by opening ports in multiple locations (thanks for all the free installation of crappy software, Dell! I feel protected, primarily because I can't actually use my machine for anything!!!), and then using the PUBLIC IP supplied by the one alternate site listed...this leads to a NEW question.....

NEW QUESTION: If I really don't like having a port open, and if all my machines will be connected within my wireless network, is there a way to get it to work the way that Golkiwu is describing -- meaning that the player machines just type in the (internal to my wifi net) IP for the judge machine, and I don't have to have ports open on my ROUTER?

Thanks for the offer, Daggeth - - since it IS technically working - I just have to have machines on my home network hop out then back in - I am in business, but if you have any method for accomplishing this WITHOUT opening a router port I'd appreciate it.

18. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

Networking stuff that applies to my situation and which I'm posting in case there is something useful for others:

Internal Network (LAN)

- The firewall/router has DHCP to assign IP addresses to wireless clients in the 192.168.x.xxx subnet (~ 50-100 available)
    - Servers have a fixed IP
    - I use the cmd ipconfig to report my host IP address (and which rarely changes)
    - Open the workstation software firewall to allow inbound connections on the port (e.g. 10101)
    - Potentially turn off security software that controls app behavior and allows programs to run as "servers" if your LAN is considered "Internet" (not trusted)--if you could not specifically allow the program to be trusted [I don't need to do this on my "trusted/home network" LAN]
    - Note that my hardware firewall has not been changed to allow other than inbound SSH at this point

WAN Connections (hosting for the Internet)

- Confirm external IP address through various means as posted by others (my IP is static and known)
    - Configure hardware firewall/router to allow/forward necessary ports (e.g. 10101 for d20Pro; TeamSpeak 3 if hosting server; etc.); forward to host workstation/laptops IP address
    - Ensure host has software firewall opening necessary ports
    - Potentially turn off security software that prevents apps from running as server processes [I definitely had to do this with Zone Alarm security suite; I'll see if AVG needs the same]
    - Note: I only turn on port forwarding and turn off app security for the duration of the hosted d20Pro session; during that time, the only real risk is an external attack/exploit that knows how to compromise the software listening on those ports; so a scanner would have to find the system with the ports open, and have an attack/exploit that could compromise/crash/overload the software--and all within the narrow window of time when the game is hosted

19. neofax

neofax New Member

Yes, you can find out what your local(Host) machines ip is by doing CTRL+R and type CMD. This will bring you to a command prompt. Type ipconfig or ifconfig(I am not quite sure as I use both WinBlows and Linux). You should get an IP of 192.168.X.X. Use this to have the other systems connect to you. Your router does not need a port open as the route tables on the router will tell the packet it is internal and route the packet along. The only problem in this scenario is local Anti-Virus and Software Firewalls installed on each machine. You can verify whether you have a software firewall by using CanYouSeeMe.org or another service like this.

20. phloog

phloog Member

That's part of my problem - - the IP address that D20Pro reports (with the error) is the same one that displays on the Windows Networking details, IPCONFIG, etc...it just doesn't work for other machines unless I go out and back in via the public IP / router port open.

Weird.