1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Facing

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by shango, Jun 17, 2010.

1. shango

shango New Member

Hi All,
    I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up, I couldn't find any reference to it in the forums. Are there any plans to introduce unit facing? We have used the D20pro tool for the last couple weeks, and have found it quite good. However, we have had some difficulty with the inability to display which way a unit is facing. In one instanc a rogue approached the party under stealth to backstab. But just as the attack goes off, the player victim says "How could he sneak up on me when I was facing that way?". Of course, I have no way of disputing this, and he has no way of proving it. Is unit facing on the cards, or is it already there and I am just missing it?

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

While unit facing would be nice, I think the point is moot.

Unless the player goes out of their way to specify that they always make sure that each time they move, they stop with their back to the wall (which a clever DM would find a way to exploit), as controller of the monsters you would always make certain that monster attacked from behind.

To put it another way. Without unit facing, you just state that the monster attacks from behind. With unit facing, you would be able to show that the monster attacked from behind. In either case the monster attacks from behind.

To put a fine point on it, the creature is sneaking and can see the players. Unless the players make their perception check (or whatever mechanism you use), the monster attacks from behind, because you say that it does.

In general, i believe, that the unless otherwise specified, the simplest course of action is the default. IE, when your players walk into a room - they are assumed to be facing into the room - in the direction of travel.

Finally, the situation works both ways. If your players had a DDR (Damn Dirty Rogue, as my wife likes to call them), they would be within their rights to say "I sneak up behind the troll and stab it in the back" and expect (if the troll didn't detect them) to be succesful in their attempt. To be remembered, here, is that D20pro is a game aid - and not a game. D&D (or whichever system you are utilizing) is the game; and it is built upon the use of imagination.

3. vardeman

vardeman New Member

In d20 there is no facing. If the rogue made good enough hide & move silently rolls (or stealth, depending on the specific system) and the player(s) didn't roll high enough spot or listen (or perception), then the sneak attack works.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

The abiltiy to rotate your character is on our list of things to add.

When it gets added I cannot say, we have a long list of 'awesome stuff' to add.

5. Dan

Dan Member

Again, this is a d20-based VT, and we follow the rules for facing:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adven ... Facing.htm

There is no real facing in d20 based systems. It is assumed that you are always looking around. Now, there are distractions (read the whole page), which create Flanking conditions, and rogues can wait until the target is distracted as well. It's up to the player to consult the GM and ask, "is he distracted or looking away?" If the mark is not, maybe the rogue can make a bluff check and throw a rock or something to create a diversion so he can hide and move up for the attack.

See the rules for hiding: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm

While facing does not exist in 3.5 or 4E D&D, we do have it on our radar as something that would lend support for other systems, which is something we are working on.