1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

usefulness of attack Adjustments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unsaved, Jul 6, 2012.

1. unsaved

unsaved Member

Noob d20Pro GM question. I think I'm missing something. What is the usefulness of the attack bonus/penalty settings in the "ATTACK ADJUSTMENTS" section on the GM's Resolve Attack screen? I see that the damage adjustments are extremely useful because if I register a hit the adjustments are applied on the next screen. But it seems like a waste of time to adjust To Hit, for example, since the attack rolls above do not get updated.

Say I need to give a To Hit adjustment of +4. Since I have to mentally add 4 to the ATTACK ROLL (and maybe CONFIRMATION roll) above, why would I want to waste time entering 4 below? I just entered 100 into To Hit and I see that it has no effect. The Power adjustment function seems to really be exactly and only an adjustment to damage. It doesn't help you at all with the calculation of attack penalty vs. damage bonus.

Mighty strange to me that I can use the A/C setting above and that will adjust the AC number and the success/failure suggestions, yet I enter an adjustment to To Hit and nothing changes.

Is there some way to cause the Resolve Attack screen to update with the adjusted values?

(Just realized that I should have posted this to the General Questions forum. Too late now. Sorry).

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The primary purpose for those fields are for the GM to review what adjustments have been made by the player prior to them sending to you for review. Perhaps the player has a trait or feat to allow extra damage in certain situations, this is where the player will notate the additional bonuses.

If you adjust the damage before submitting the attack, the values will be adjusted accordingly.

Note: the Power Attack button is for 3.X. Pathfinder uses a different calculation. What I do is create a copy of the attack, name it _____ (PA) , then adjust the To Hit down and the bonus damage up (based in the BaB per RAW).

3. unsaved

unsaved Member

Makes sense. Thank you Curtis.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

That is extremely handy to know, thanks for the clarification :)