1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

User Specified Image Path

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Kizan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Kizan

Kizan New Member

It would be good to be able to specify the path in options to my image library for each type of object (Creature/CTR, Floor/FLR and Item/ITEM). I use d20Pro in several places and hate having to copy several gigs worth of image files to each machine. I'd much rather use a file server or a USB drive and have my images on that.

Thanx,

Kizan

2. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I sort of solved this in a round about way. I'd still really like to see this feature supported in the software, but in the mean time this works too.

I used a symbolic link in the file system. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link#Windows_7_.26_Vista_symbolic_link) Using the mklink command in windows 7 or vista you can create these. I know there are sym-links in Mac OSX and Linux but I don't know how to make them.

The only caveat is if there are too many files is bad. The program will searches all those directories at client start up. Which can cause the client to become unresponsive for long periods of time or never return from searching. This can happen if you copy to many images into the local path(s) as well.

As my image folder is already broken into sub-categories I just added sym-links to a few of the sub-category folders I wanted in d20pro. That way the program didn't search too much stuff every time.

Can't wait for d20Pro to support this type of feature (not sym-links, but external image paths).

Thanx,

Kizan