1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Using a d20 based system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firzen, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Firzen

Firzen New Member

Hello, d20 pro creators (and fellow users)!

Me and my group are stunned by the depth and the breadth of possibilities this tool provides. It offers things I so often longed for during our sessions! Thank you for making this happen. It has only been a few days of our trial period and I think we're 100% buyers; I just want to make something clear(er) for me:

I want to use a d20 system that I specifically tailored for our gaming needs. It requires the omission and/or change of the basic ability scores and adding several new skills. Can I do that, and how? And if I can't (It doesn't look as if the character sheet is editable), is there any simple way to go around it?

Thank you for your answers and excuse any mistakes in my English (non-native speaker here)!

P.S. And a HUGE thank you for the support of non-Latin alphabets, specifically Cyrillic.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

You can indeed change or omit the ability scores, and then alter defenses/attacks/saves manually.

Included in your installation is a "skills.txt" file. After "backing up" that file, you should be able to add any skills you desire.

3. Firzen

Firzen New Member

Awesome news! Looking through the installation folders, I assume you're talking about editing the contents of this folder:

-----\d20 Pro\judge\campaigns\D&D 3.5 OGL\res\ManuallySpecified

It contains txt files for skills, classes, etc.

EDIT: Interesting, I just tried editing the skills file. It now gives me the following error: "The ID reserve Range cannot change yet! Will be supported in the future". Restoring the old file does not help. Hmm. <-- FIXED

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Re: Using a d20 based system (and an error)

Two things:

To the best of my knowledge, file changes have no effect if the software is running.

D20Pro is extremely "install friendly". Meaning you can duplicate the entire installation, and work with the copy.

Until one of the "dev" types, chimes in - you will have to settle for trial and error.

For some insight, the 4e page includes some replacement files (including skills.txt). You might want to grab those and take a look at how those files were modified ...

5. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Firzen, let me see if I can replicate that error to figure out what the problem is.

6. ogexam

ogexam Member

Can you please attach the file you changed.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

try re-installing over itself to see if it clears the error. I think that error message deals with loading the previous state.

8. Glav

Glav New Member

The following "should" work:

* If it's running, exit d20Pro

* In each subdirectory of the dm\res folder, delete all the categoryMetaData.dat and manifest.dat files. You may only need to delete the ones in d20pro\judge\campaign\____\res\ManuallySpecified, but it's safe to delete them all.

* Restart d20Pro. When you start the Judge, it should auto-scan the entire dm/res structure and rebuild all those files, and the problem should go away.

If you continue to get the problem, send me a PM and we can try to troubleshoot it.

--Glav

9. Firzen

Firzen New Member

I followed Glav's advice and it's working like a charm. Thanks!