1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Using a secondary display or projector

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bocephus, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bocephus

bocephus New Member

I plan to use a projector and a single laptop when I get my local game off the ground. I was wondering how exactly one does this with d20Pro. Do you launch two different copies of the game, or is there a built in function for this?

2. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

If you are using just one computer/laptop to run your game you would launch the GM client and get everything read. Then, launch the player client and connect to your localhost IP (127.0.0.1). The only drawback here is that you'll have to switch between the two clients as you game. If you do not want to use the fog of war, hidden creatures or hide your GM rolls then you can probably get away with just using the GM client. If you can work a second laptop into the picture (I know, easier said than done), then you can hook one laptop to the project and run the player client on it while you run the GM client on the second laptop (this is how I run my home campaign).

3. bocephus

bocephus New Member

Thanks for the reply. I can think of some advantages to going with two laptops and may try that.

4. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi bocephus,

We highly recommend 2 machines when possible, but not completely needed. If you already have a projector, you can set the projector as an extension to your desktop and run the player client on the other screen. The negative with this is the control of the mouse. When your players try to move their characters, it may mess with you since you are trying to run things on the 'Judge' client.

Like Ken explained, we use 2 laptops or 1 desktop and 1 laptop (either connected wirelessly or via crossover cable), and connect the 'Player' client to the projector, monitor, or even the flat screen on the wall. If you have a wireless router in your house you can welcome your players to bring their own laptops and run their own 'Player' to your 'Judge.'

**Reminder: for every connection above 2, you will need either additional 'Guest' or 'Player' Licenses (only $10)

I hope this helps.

Best regards and Happy Gaming,

Nick