1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Various Mac Bugs

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by lexluthor, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

I have been experiencing some bugs on my Mac since the last update. First, occasionally, a character will suddenly become un-editable. It won't open in the library, nor if you drag it to a map. If you copy or clone, the duplicate won't open either. The character can still make attacks, but you cannot access it.

Secondly, some characters seem to lose abilities or attacks between games. And they don't return if you reload again. Also, one of those characters, a player, whenever he makes a skill roll, many times he comes up as one of the monsters in the log. The bonus is accurate but it shows a monster making a roll, not the player's character. I don't know if this matters, but I use a monster template I created in the library, and use the copy function whenever I create a new character. This template has no picture, but has some 4e defaults set (like initiative, a few skills, a few basic attacks).

Finally, this last one, has always been a problem, since version 2.2. The sound still cuts out about an hour after everyone has logged on. This happens both on my Mac desktop (where I run the game) and my Macbook (where my wife plays). They usually go out at the same time, but after a reboot in the middle of the game, the Macbook seems to drop out much faster. The Macbook was bought 3 months ago, and my desktop was purchased Jan, 2010, from Best Buy, so they are both fairly new, still running OSX. The last time I updated the operating system was about a month ago, the errors were present before and after.

I have reinstalled a number of times, and these errors still persist. Once, I even reloaded my entire campaign from scratch, but to no avail.

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

How certain are you that these bugs are related to the Mac? Have you tried duplicating the errors on a PC?

I have sound problems on my Mac as well, but it's not related to d20pro. We use Skype. The problem is actually related to my USB headset. There's some bug in either the OS or the headset itself that causes my voice to suddenly sound all crazy and robotic. If I unplug the headset and replug it, the problem goes away for one hour. After an hour it comes back, unplug/replug, rinse and repeat. This is actually a common problem for Mac users—I can point you to a long-standing discussion about it on Apple's support forums if you're interested.

So, with your sound problem, is it the sound effects in d20pro itself that cut out, or is it your voice? What program do you use for voice chat?

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

We don't use voice chat in our game. The sound effects for the game completely drops out. But were I to click on anything outside of the program, the sound is still there (like Itunes never drops). I used to run an internet radio at the same time, but stopped that when the game sound problems appeared, thinking that maybe that was the problem. Now I don't run anything when we play the game, and the sound continues to drop after about an hour. I have never had that problem with my windows laptop (which is old and held together with electrical tape, literally).

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Huh, I have never had these problems on my Mac, and I also have one player using a Mac. So it could be something else. Hopefully one of the devs will be able to address your problems soon. Sorry I couldn't help!

5. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

They tried various things over 6 months ago, but nothing really worked. Are you running the most current version of OSX? Because if you are running an earlier version, that may be why I am having this problem and you are not. Or maybe you have twice as much memory. I'm also running almost no additional software on my Mac, even less on the Macbook. When we first started playing over a year ago, it did not cut out like this, but something changed.

One more thing, I can run the game, just connected to my wife's macbook, and the sound will never cut out, even if I have it on for hours. But once everyone has signed on, about an hour later, bam, the sound goes out on both of them. Pretty crazy.

6. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met lexluthor, Daeruin,

The Mac sound bug continues to flummox me. Wish I had a better answer / solution but so far nothing has manifested. :|

If anyone reading this has experience with Java development on the Mac and has a sound library to recommend, shoot me a PM.

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

After searching online about sound issues, I thought there might be a problem with airport. I normally play using my wireless router, but this time I connected directly to the router with a cable. The sound lasted for well over 3 hours, much longer than any other time. Combat went on for over two hours straight though, and when I came out of it, it went silent. I don't know if this helps (I am really not that tech inclined), but the activity monitor read cpu .2 percent for d20 and real mem 3.44.4, but at the end, read 19.3 percent and real mem 463.1.

3 hours or so is about the longest we play anyway, so plugging in probably works for the most part. Three hours is much better than one!