1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Visibility/Light sources and FOW dynamic reveal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AkosPrime, Jun 10, 2012.

1. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

In addition to my other FOW question (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1731) about laying down FOW, assigning it, and making it quicker to reveal, I also have another FOW question that came up while testing stuff today.

I set FOW Regions React to Players, and Autoshow Reactive Regions on. I started a character out in the middle of a map that I first flooded with FOW, and then manually revealed a radius around the start point. I made sure that all of the squares on the map were marked as unlocked. On the player's screen, the character could be moved into the FOW sections and the exact square the character ended up would become visible, but everything else stayed blacked out - including the path the character took to get there. Is there some way to create a visibility radius around a character with dynamic/reactive FOW? Such that as a character moves the unlocked squares can be revealed as far as the character can see?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Automatic FoW reveal does not take account the path traveled, light sources, or visibility of the creatures.

Perhaps in the future these may become a features.

3. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Okay, that's what I thought but since the product is so in-depth, I wasn't sure if I was missing an option somewhere. Something like this would be real helpful with dynamic FOW on, it's less important if the GM controls everything - which seems the best way right now. A combination of hard limits on movement and light/visibility(i.e. a wall or door prevents a character or their light/visibility from moving through it) as well as radius sight lines (character X has torch so can see in 15' radius, character Y has continual flame so can see in 30' radius, etc.) would be helpful in removing one more thing a GM has to do before pushing out the map on each turn to the players. I'm sure that gets faster and easier with practice, but still it'd be nice to remove some of the drudgery of clicking on/off visible sections during the game.