1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Whoa - where do I start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smalenberg, Aug 23, 2009.

1. smalenberg

smalenberg New Member

Guys, I saw a demo at Gen Con and I've downloaded the trial, but I'm having a terrible time figuring out how to use the software. For now, I'm just trying to set up as the judge and use an external monitor to show the player view, but I also want to figure out how to broadcast. Maybe I'm just slow, but it took me over 20 minutes to figure out how to display a map and I can't figure out how to load a player view at all. Some kind of tutorial is really needed. When I've got the GM view up, if I go back to applications and try to launch it again, it just goes to the active judge window (I'm using a Mac).

I've tried looking at the online help, but to be frank it isn't very helpful. For one thing, it talks about a box with a golden gear on the right for showing IP address: I don't see anything that looks like that. I need to be able to play with this. It looks like what I want, but if I have to struggle to figure out to use it, it might not be useful to me. The help has a series of images of the different modes, so I click the mode I intend to run it, expecting an explanation of how to set it up and instead the picture opens in another window - no explanation.

Help! At the con, the guy at the booth suggested someone would should be able to get online with me and give me a tour. That would be great, but I'd also expect it shouldn't be necessary. A built in help would go a long way.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Smalenberg,

As the online manual notes, it's for version 1.14 and is being updated ASAP. To be frank, we released 2.0 in time for GenCon but were unable to get the manual updated in time. I'm working today on some tutorial videos and I'm also available to give you a step-by-step tutorial over Skype until we can get the manual finished. Help is on the way!

I'm hosting a help session tonight at 9:30 EST if you would like to join. Just email me at: [​IMG] and let me know if you are interested. If that time doesn't work, let me know when will be convenient for you.

We are diligently working on getting more help up, I assure you. Thank you for your patience, and please make use of my invitation!

3. smalenberg

smalenberg New Member

Hey Dan,

Sent you a message in email. Looking for the Skype info for the call tonight.

4. Althafain

Althafain New Member

I don't think that a phone call would be the most useful solution for me. Is the work on the manual still ongoing? I feel like I'll be willing to spend money on this program as soon as it is ready, but I just can't consider spending the money for a GM license and several Guest slots until the software is complete (manual!)

Any ETA?

5. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Althafain,

It is difficult to give a true ETA for the online manual at this time. We are doing so many things to add to this such as instructional videos. I will be diving back into the user manual over the next few weeks, but I cannot give a final date. I can and am willing to run an tutorial for you via skype or phone while we both run the GM client. It works out quite nicely for those that have taken us up on this offer. You can also get into a game and start with the Player Client...

I will be meeting with Daniel over the next couple of weeks to recap on what is still up in the air. There have been some personal things come up for the both of us (without getting into too much detail) that have unfortunately slowed us down in the finishing of this project. Please email me directly at nick@mindgene.com if you are interested in setting up an online tutorial.

As soon as we have an ETA, we will be sure to get it out there too. :D

Best,

Nick