1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Why 3.5.7 not part of the archives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miniaturepeddler, Sep 16, 2016.

1. miniaturepeddler

miniaturepeddler New Member

I am in the middle of a campaign and need to apply the client software to a couple of my players machines.

I am in the middle of some encounters and do not want to upgrade my server at this time.

Whats up?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

For the best experience you really should be using the latest build of the software, The archive is really only meant for historical reference.

but to answer your question; if I recall, there was a bug in that version that precludes its inclusion in the archive.

3. miniaturepeddler

Dang this means I will have to cancel my game. :(
    This is not a thanks.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'm not sure how to respond.. There is nothing in a 3.5.7 build that would prevent you from upgrading to the current release of the software. Or that would require you not to upgrade to the current version of the software...

5. miniaturepeddler

I have a mac and have always had trouble 'upgrading' because my support files remain with the old version and there is no easy way to migrate my downloads and my current campaigns to the 'new' version. It has always set itself up in seperate directories.
    When running one shots scenarios, this is NBD, but in campaign mode this is a hassle, requiring that I recreate all my maps, tokens, etc.

6. miniaturepeddler

I have been trying to download the most current, but it hangs and eventually times out.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It's just a simple matter of copying a single folder over.. and if you install to the same location you don't even have to do that.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

that is usually due to an add/poppup blocker or the like.. The downloads work fine, if it is timing out, I'd check your browser to see what is blocking the download.

9. miniaturepeddler

Nope, pop up blocker is disabled for your site (both the d20pro and the mesamundi).

10. miniaturepeddler

ok, sixth time is a charm?
    will try YET again. this is very frustrating.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I just dl'd it using 3 different browsers (Chrome, Edge & Firefox). The download went flawlessly on each.

12. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

If you're having trouble with it installing and not keeping your old campaign files, make a backup copy of your "campaign" folder (this is the folder that contains all your maps/tokens/etc). After installing the updated version of D20PRO, if it overwrote your campaign folder (which it shouldn't if it installs to the same location as your current D20PRO install) then replace the new campaign folder with the backup copy you made.

13. miniaturepeddler

Attempted 10 downloads last night, finally going to bed with it attempting. It produced a truncated zip file every time.
    I downloaded this morning and the downloads went through.

What is aggravating for this is that our group was using 3.5.7 with no problems and I simply needed another client download for a new machine in the group, and I had not saved the zip file in my own archives.

So now I have downloaded 3.6.9 and have begun rebuilding all my campaign files.
    Unfortunately the mac download simply unzips and creates a new folder, unlike the pc installer which upacks and installs the files to the same place as before.

This means more work for myself, since to recreate the campaign is either a pain staking effort of HOURS of works, recreating maps, tokens, downloading packages from the mesa store, etc, or copying files from either the old directory to the new directory, or vice versa.

It seems that there is an easy way for this: Copy the d20pro.jar file over top the old one in the old directory. Why don't/didn't you guys just say that!!! We are not all mind readers nor programmers. This would have saved me major angst. I still will have to update the clients on my player machines, but this is faster than what was presented (or not presented).

Remember: The mac 'install' does NOT overwrite the old install!!! It creates new directories, and if you run the new install, it is virgin, unconfigured and unmodified!!

I have loved this program for years; ever since I bought it from Matt back before Neoncon!! I have been trying to convert a new group to it (and was able to twist their arms to use it since I was GMing the lastest campaign). My ability to project the maps onto a wall, or since we mounted a projector to the ceiling, onto the gaming table, thus allowing my players to use their beloved miniatures on the board. I love it rather than Roll20 because I do not have to have a strong internet connection, simply an intranet.

Please don't do things that make me regret my support.

I will stick with 3.6.9 for a while, and make sure that I have backups of the client on my flash drive and dropbox.

14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Are you using this Updater file for Mac. http://archive.d20pro.com/?download=D20PRO+Installers/3.6.9/D20PRO-Updater-3.6.9.jar

It is automamagic, updating your current install of D20PRO.

You should not be having to do this. Using the Updater or copying your campaign folder from the old install folder to the new folder. it's only the /Campaigns' folder that needs copying over...

Players only need to update the software to the current version.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

• NOTE #2 FOR MAC USERS: Occasionally Mac users will receive an error that the file is “damaged and can’t be opened.” This is Mac OS’s Gatekeeper feature that defaults to only allowing App Store Downloaded programs to open. To bypass this, go through the following steps:
    Goto System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Tab > Allow applications downloaded from Anywhere > Click the “Allow From Anywhere” button > launch D20PRO.

16. miniaturepeddler

See there is part of the problem, your basic assumption that users only have one install of d20pro. I have been utilizing at least 5 differing installs of d20pro, each being differing versions (prior versions). Because of this, there is no Default install for an updater to work on.

Why do this? because you (developers) push buggy versions at time and we the public (users) have to go back to prior versions to use the program.

Ie, users don't always trust the developer because when you push a product that you believe is bug free, unless there is a backup then we the user are stuck with nothing.

So, I guess part of the problem is that I don't trust you to take care of me in a timely fashion.

Maybe this is because I have been a developer and a tester in the past, and you don't always see the bugs when you push out new products, but once it is on the street, all those bugs magically appear and the public has to deal and the development team has to scramble to fix the new bugs.

You are a small development team, and I respect the work you do and the product you put out. But...

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

uhm sure there is .. You could point the updater towards any install you wish.. I can not think of a single possible reason you'd need or wish to maintain 5 separate installs of the program. Two tops, a prior version and the current version.. or maybe the current version and a beta version.. but 5, honestly seems a bit over the top ...

We constantly inform people to Always make a backup of long running campaigns.

All software no matter what it is experiences growing pains, it's just the natural order of the universe. we know it, you know it, everyone knows it.. It's frustrating at times, I get that.. so does everyone else.. We do a lot to keep people informed.. I also feel we put a huge effort into helping those that run into trouble.

I don't think we have ever once said something was bug free.

at any rate, this seems to be turning somewhat hostile, and that is not helpful to anyone (us, the users or you).. if you have further complications, I will assist you in anyway I can to help you get squared away.

#17 Wesley Gorby, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    miniaturepeddler likes this.
  18. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Krilion_GD -

This has to do with the Mac version not being a DMG and being a ZIP distribution. The ZIP distribution automatically unzips it using the version number as part of the install location. Thus: v3.5.7 has a separate folder than the v3.6.9 install. Mac users do not have an installer app to guide the process like Windows users do. Further Mac versions do not have typical user access to campaign files as Windows users do because it's contained in the app-like (hidden directory) clickable asset.

miniaturepeddler -
    I'm very sorry for your experience, let me offer a solution / step-by-step guide to help Mac users upgrade from previous versions to newer versions of the software while maintaining all your campaign files in-tact. (Please hang on while I produce this)..

Thank you for your continued support.

19. miniaturepeddler

thank you all for your continued support of an outstanding product!!

Thanks Edwardcd for jumping in and clarifying!

20. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Mac Upgrade Guide for D20PRO
    There have been many versions of D20PRO, however, the most common installed D20PRO version is version 3.X.X. Thus, I'll stick with the upgrade method for these version.

If upgrading from D20PRO version 3.3.X or Before:
    • Because these versions of D20PRO do NOT include JAVA we will need the full install (not the updater). Also these installs have a single application install (more about this later).
    • Before upgrading please make sure in your current D20PRO that you close and save any open maps.
    • After downloading the most recent version of D20PRO-Mac-[version number].ZIP it should automatically unzip and have a D20PRO folder in your downloads folder.
    • Now move the new D20PRO folder into your Applications (or wherever you want D20PRO to be located).
    • Find your older d20Pro install location (this is a single application), then Control + Click (or Right Click, or on track pad: index finger down, pointer finger click) to pull up a context menu, then select "Show Package Contents."
    01_Show_Package Contents.jpg
    • Now expand Contents > Resources > Java > judge >
    • Find "campaigns" (This folder contains all your campaign files).
    • Copy the "campaigns" folder.
    02_Copy_Campaigns.jpg
    • Now navigate back to your Applications folder (or wherever you placed the new install of D20PRO)
    • Now expand data > judge >
    03_Paste_Campaigns.jpg
    • This is where the new "judge" folder is located. Now simply "paste item" then select "Replace"
    04_Replace_Campagins.jpg

If upgrading from D20PRO version 3.4.X - 3.5.X:
    • These versions of D20PRO include an older version of JAVA and will require us to have the full install (not the updater). These versions include outside folders of campaign files.
    • Before upgrading please make sure in your current D20PRO that you close and save any open maps.
    • After downloading the most recent version of D20PRO-Mac-[version number].ZIP it should automatically unzip and have a D20PRO folder in your downloads folder.
    • Now move the new D20PRO folder into your Applications (or wherever you want D20PRO to be located).
    • Find your older d20Pro install location.
    • Expand data > judge >
    • Copy the "campaigns" folder.
    06_CopyCampaginsOutside.jpg
    • Now navigate back to your Applications folder (or wherever you placed the new install of D20PRO)
    • Now expand data > judge >
    03_Paste_Campaigns.jpg
    • This is where the new "judge" folder is located. Now simply "paste item" then select "Replace"
    04_Replace_Campagins.jpg

If upgrading from D20PRO version 3.6.X:
    These versions can be upgraded using the D20PRO-Upgrader.JAR
    And it's true, this is by far the easiest method.

Before upgrading please make sure in your current D20PRO that you close and save any open maps.
    Please click the "Locate D20PRO Installation..." button, find your current D20PRO installation then press the "Update to v3.6.9" button" (or whatever the newest version is button).
    05_updater.jpg