1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Allow players to edit character

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Daeruin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I would love to allow players to edit their characters, or portions of them, while connected to a game. Once I assign them as the owner, they can assign their own memorized spells, change inventory, and adjust money on their own. Perhaps warn the DM so he can approve or not. This would greatly lessen the DM's workload.

There may be other areas of the character sheet that would make sense to allow players to change, such as the notes area or the attacks area.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, this would greatly improve d20Pro by making it easier on the judge (DM). I'm sure pretty much everyone would want this feature... Player's ability to update their assigned character sheet.

3. 7trokes

7trokes New Member

I agree, the ability for player's to edit their sheets in game would greatly reduce the GMs work load. It also might be good to make it an optional feature.

4. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

This is at the top of my "most wanted" list!

I absolutely hate having to do all the editing on my own, and it really takes "ownership" away from the players. When we used to sit together at a physical table, everyone was responsible for their own character sheets and tracking.

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

We are looking into adding a DM toggle to allow players to edit the creatures they own.

Not sure when this will get implemented, but to let you guys know, it is on the list, and not too far from the top.

6. NyxKordel

NyxKordel New Member

I agree. I feel it is important to let the player "own" their own sheet. Plus, as already stated, takes some of the workload off of the DM. I also would like to see an option to send files, such as images or PDFs directly to the job through the player client. currently the only thing I see a player can send is creatures he builds through the Judge client.

-Nyx

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Your players can send any file they want. Any file your player sends is sent to your computer regardless of the file type. However, d20Pro only notifies the Judge when it receives a creature file.

To view the files that a player sends to you open the following directory...
    ...\judge\campaigns\<current campaign>\res\<player name>

Replace "<current campaign>" with the campaign you loaded when starting the Judge mode.
    Replace "<player name>" with the appropriate name of the player who sent you a file.

8. NyxKordel

NyxKordel New Member

Good to know. Thanks.

-Nyx

9. Mattie

Mattie New Member

Please add this! This is the biggest reason our campaigns can't move over to d20pro. Players can't control their own inventories, tweaks, memorized spells, etc. I'd buy your biggest license immediately if that support were added.

Even if these have to be okayed by the GM before being applied, this is our only showstopper for moving to this platform. Please give us a timeline for when we can expect this so we can plan for when we'll be able to move over. :)

10. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I'm also curious if it would be possible to let someone use a Player (or -maybe- a guest?) license to edit one creature at a time. Most of my players are more than willing to keep their character files up to date, but don't have Judge licenses.

11. neofax

neofax New Member

If this is implemented, could you make so that if a player makes a change to their character, some chat is sent to the GM? Not saying people cheat, but I would like to know if someone is fiddling around with their weapons and spells and such.

12. ogexam

ogexam Member

That is the exact reason why players are not able to right now... but that is a great idea about posting a message to the Judge about it. So if someone goes in and changes there strength score trying to sneak some extra to hit and damage for the next attack the judge will know about.

Then can fix the sheet and turn off edit characters and chastise the cheater.

13. neofax

neofax New Member

Or have him/her shot! :twisted:

14. ogexam

ogexam Member

Then dunked into a vat of green slime to remove all traces of their existance.

15. tiamat5774

tiamat5774 New Member

Edit character work around

First let me start by saying, check with your DM/GM/Judge if it is ok to edit your character. Some DMs can be very picky in this area.

Now that that's out of the way, To edit your character in game you will still need a Judge's license either trial or paid. Go to your mindgene folder in your programs file in C: drive. If you are running windows 7 it will be in a folder called Programs (x86). find the batch file and create a shortcut on your desktop by right clicking the batch file and find "send to" and another menu will drop down, click "Desktop (shortcut)".

Let's say you are presently in game and you level up. leave the d20 pro you have up open.
    click on your shortcut you created. A black DOS window will come up then the D20pro screen.
    Select Judge, then it will load up with the last map you used, if no map load a map.

You should have a saved copy of your character in d20 pro. Import it from your "user" file to your Library, or drag and drop it onto a map from your library and right click character and find the edit option and click it. You are now ready to edit your character in the case of Leveling up, or changing gold or inventory all while still being in the game. Once you are finished editing your character save it by right clicking your character on the map, mousing down to location, a menu will show some options, among them is "save creature" click that and it will show up in your library. If you still have the older character of the same name in your library it will be named "NAMEHERE 1". You can edit that name by clicking on the character's portrait and enter a name like "NAMEHERE NEW LVL#". Then export to your "user" file as a D20_CTR. Close out of THIS instance of D20pro.

Back in the running game, you can click the D20pro circle in the Top left corner and select "game tools". Click on the creature icon then on the "upload creature" button at the bottom, and a file menu will come up. It should go straight to your "user"file in the Mindgene folder. Find and select your updated character and click "Export" and the new updated character will be submitted to your DM.

16. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

I would think the answer to this is a simple GM window that allows the GM to select three settings PER PLAYER.

1 Allow / Deny Player to Level up ( trigger event - player is notified he is able to level at his / her discretion based on his available exp)
    2 Allow / Deny Player to change equipment / Inventory
    3 Allow / Deny Player to generate / modify character

17. Tharck

Tharck New Member

I agree. Being able to edit and create a character gives the PC a sense of ownership and it's one of the first thing's you experience in the DnD game. The character sheet is as sacred as the D20.

18. razorbit

razorbit New Member

I know this threat hasn't been replied to for a year but I have to say, this is by far the most disappointing feature of d20pro. The reason being "players could adjust their str and cheat" just sounds like BS to me because they could do that in a tabletop version of the game. The GM would have a better chance of noticing the d20+14 instead of the usual d20+13 scroll across the screen to indicate cheating. Being able to manage the character sheet is fundamental to the role playing game. Not allowing this feature essentially makes d20pro just a crappy video game to me.

Looking back on the first page of this thread, there was a d20pro team member who said this was an important enhancement. Looking over the release notes for the past to 3.x releases, I see the headline feature being "Content Marketplace" related. I guess I know what the priorities are....

I really do like some of the d20pro features but i'll be taking my money elsewhere entirely for this reason.

19. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If all your players had Judge accounts, they could each edit their own character sheets and submit it to the GM each time they level.

20. razorbit

razorbit New Member

So the functionality is there, but I am required to pay an additional $20 per player to enable it? That doesn't seem right to me as a consumer. I'd actually rather hear "we haven't gotten around to adding that feature yet" because now I just think a decision to be able to make more money trumped the decision to be fair and make a better tool. In all fairness, i'm going to do some more research on this before I condemn d20pro entirely. Surely someone out there must be using the tool successfully despite this limitation.