1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Fog of War

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kridak, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

It seems to me that almost all of the d20pro users who are being vocal about wanting dynamic FoW are those who have moved here from Maptools. It's understandable that it's a big beef. It's frustrating to switch software and lack a cool feature like that. For the rest of us, the current FoW feature may feel a bit cumbersome, but it's better than nothing. For Maptool switchers, it's a major source of aggravation. For the d20pro team, adding dynamic FoW is also a great strategic decision—removing one more barrier for people who may want to switch from the competition.

Indeed.

2. kridak

kridak New Member

Well it has been over 2 years since i first requested this feature.

Are we any closer? Do we forsee it this year? Next year? Not at all?

Still using d20pro and liking it, but i miss my automatic fog of war removal :)

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Fog of War is getting an upgrade for v3.2. It's a vast improvement from the current model since now you can draw any shaped polygon or circle to cover entire rooms, then hide each polygon with a single click. So you can reveal an entire room with one click inside the room, vs the current way of hide/show a square based brush size. You can see some FoW elements at d20Pro's google+ page: https://plus.google.com/108622074812635000672/posts

4. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

I'm very stoked about the Fog of War feature to be added in 3.2, however, i see this a patch more than what the community is really begging for (i.e. dynamic fog of war).

I'm not trying to be critical, i love the product and the new feature will be a very AWESOME addition. what is the reluctance/difficulty with the dynamic FOW asside from availibility of time to see to everyone's every wish and whim for the product. Is it that the base product makes D-FOW difficult to implement or just implementing it in general take SO long to code?

Just curious.

on a side note is player license PC creation possible yet?

EDIT:
    ooooh just remembered one of my feature requestion from the google moderator thing. Do you think the coding you guys are using for the "any shape" FOW could be used for "any shape" drawing on the map. cause thats one feature i would like to see as well. you know " add in a squiggly line here, ok thats a tree, um this is a rock etc... " right now i believe its just squares which hurts the suspension of disbelief a little

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The difficulty in implementing the dynamic fog of war people are wanting comes into play with line-of-sight variation for individual players. There could probably be a feature that checks to see where the creatures are located on the map and if they share a point on the map where a fog of war element is located it could toggle that fog of war element to reveal the map underneath for all players.

Currently, only Judges may create or edit creatures in d20Pro. No changes are scheduled for v3.2.

A "whiteboard" style layer to allow freehand drawing would be pretty nice. Currently, if you have PNG graphics for a rock and a tree (or others, with transparent background), you can easily place those as tiles on the map. Though, I know where you are coming from - simulate a real tabletop battlemap where you actually draw on it.

6. bigbsonnier

bigbsonnier New Member

yah the whiteboard style would help with on the fly mapping.

7. darnythian

darnythian New Member

New to d20Pro and we're LOVING IT! Just really need to know if there's a way to implement a wall or barrier that characters cannot move though? The FoW is working beautifully until a player accidently moves one square too far...

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

There is no way to implement a hard stop for character movement on the map. You could change the Options to say that the Fog of War regions do not interact with character movement (though you would manually have to change the visibility state - though this solves your issue of players movements opening up an area that can't be explored yet).

9. darnythian

darnythian New Member

Yeah, that's what I had to do. Thanks for confirming my suspicions though!

10. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

one of the options toggles causes a 'decision' prompt for the GM to reveal the area or not to the players. It's what we use and it works pretty well.. nice medium between auto reveal (too abused) and force the GM to switch to the FOW tool (too annoying) all the time... :)

sorry, tho I do not recall which option toggle it is

in this way, you can just say no when prompted for the reveal, and move the offending character back into the light...