1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Having issues getting spells to roll damage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katarsmi, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Katarsmi

Katarsmi New Member

So I was setting up a Magic Missile spell in 3.7.1 and for some reason it will not roll the damage. I have set up the spell flow with the following:
    Feature: magic missile, Type: Spell, --> Effect: Trigger: On Target, Apply immediately --> Modify Target: HP (both), Type: None --> Value: dice(1d4)+1, Multiple Effect: Multiply, Classes: All, Value: 1.0, Apply at Level: 1,3,5,7,9

I tried setting the mod type to arcane and the values to dice(1d4+1), Multiply effect to All Levels, but still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

And yes, it is enabled in the rules library. I also did a game refresh as well as closed down d20 and restarted it.

I am also attaching a screenshot of the issue so you can see how everything is set, just in case I missed something important there.

Attached Files:

2. Katarsmi

Katarsmi New Member

And the other set up I tried for the spell, still no luck there

Attached Files:

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The trigger is what is hanging you up, you want Trigger: none in this instance.

upload_2017-11-19_1-18-41.png

4. Katarsmi

Katarsmi New Member

I tried changing that and I'm still having the issue. I did reboot d20pro after changing the rules for the spell as well.
    I swear, I am the ultimate jinx or something.

Also, thank you very much for the trigger effect information, it's incredibly useful!

Attached Files:

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

This is what you're looking for with 3.5 magic missile:

upload_2017-11-25_20-14-56.png

and if you want to use the overcast to allow you to cast the 1st level spell at a higher spell slot, change the Multiple Effect node to check "Use Feature Level" and it'll let you change the spell level in the spell casting decision.

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's another screenshot of the above flow with the Use feature level check box ticked and the overcast on the spell set to level 9:

upload_2017-11-25_20-23-19.png

This gets a little funky however. The level here maps to spell levels rather than class levels. so this really shouldn't be level 9. For 5e this is fine because you can overcast by using higher level spell slots.

For 3.5 you want to NOT check the use feature level box and just let caster level properly dictate the results. For instance, same spell cast using the built in caster level check in the multiply effect node:

upload_2017-11-25_20-27-2.png

you'll note the main feature decision shows Level: 1, Cost: 1