1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

I wanna RPG. Not just battle

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Azemar1, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Azemar1

Azemar1 New Member

Ive somewhat come to realize that this map generator is based on combat and not so much RPG. I have the tavern and the city alleyway sample maps for roleplaying oppurtunitys but i want more. I was wondering if i could find a website or an easy way to copy paste tables, fireplaces, beds, chests, crates, countertops, etc. So that my maps can have more than just "i walk inside the room and see walls and a monster, so i attack". What if i wanna stand on a couple of crates and drop some oil on the floor, lighting it and creating a wall of fire and attacking the 5 orcs with my bow behind the safety of a firery barrier :) I use alot of objects like that in my maps which i draw on graph paper, is there a way to scan those pictures? Though ive never used a scanner so if thats possible please explain the prossess. I also dont have a scanner so would i be able to find one at the library? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks =)

P.S. This is an example of chairs and tables, shelves, fireplaces that im looking for. I guess i didn't clarify it earlier but i want to make Raw maps, using the normal wall process, just adding objects to add to the dungeon. I just dont know how to add those extra objects. On this picture theres plenty of things that i can roleplay with, throw a chair across the room, turn over a table for cover, throw a bag of oil into the fireplace for a nice escaping distraction =)
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapof ... i_bn20.jpg

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

I assume you would want to be able to move these crates, tables, etc.

Your best bet is to make creatures and use the images on the creature. that way you can easily move them, damage them, and rotate them.

For your wall of fire drop a red template in the area to show the area is covered in fire.

3. Azemar1

Azemar1 New Member

Ive thought of doing that actually. I have already made a dungeon that my character wakes up in and finds a "Dead body" creature, which i made and simply killed by damaging it, then placed an item under him so he can loot the sword and defend himself as he finds a way out. But for boxes and things like that would it be better to make the item monsters or items? I can throw a chair and destroy it if its a monster, but if its a chest id want to loot it not throw it, so would i just do the same process as the dead body? Just make the chest a creature and kill it, then place the items that would be 'inside of it' under it so my characters can loot it, leaving an empty chest behind?

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

A creature works great as a chest. Since you can have items on its items tab. So when it is opened you can drop the items from the creature right onto the map.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I do the same thing... create characters for each movable item by using a graphic that has transparency.

Attached: Fire

However, you can find some pretty good maps online that are free to download and use in your adventure that are complete with furniture, just have to do a Google search, or lookup some map making software to see if you can find user created graphics. Or, you could purchase their graphic packs that have all the items you want with them already pre-made.

Attached Files:

6. Dragon Scales

Dragon Scales New Member

7. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

As for items, the problem you might run into is if you really want to role play it then players should not know they are looking at a "staff of the magi" - they should have it identified. So what should be displayed is "ornate staff" - and the item should have a trigger on it for the GM that says unidentified. If the trigger is flipped then it is identified as what it truly is.

8. neofax

neofax New Member

To make the life of the GM easier, said "trigger" could be based off of the system's rules. So say in Pathfinder it is Detect Magic spell, then K: Arcana to identify the aura and then Spellcraft with the appropriate DC. So you could set the DC threshold and once the players roll higher than that threshold, the name changes to what it exactly is. You could also use this type of feature for setting secret door DC's, traps, disable device...you get the picture. This way the PC's can walk around a room see the description's of items in the room and then begin searching (in 4E you could also use the Passive skill number as the PC walks past an item).

9. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

One reason creatures don't work great as objects right now is because they must be square—no rectangle or triangle shapes are possible. Just thought I'd point that out. IT might be hard to make a bench or table, for example.

10. neofax

neofax New Member

Can't they be png's with the alpha channel? If so, then you could make whatever shape you wanted. Yes, the outline would be square, but what the character sees is the triangle, bench or table.

11. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Good point! Nice thinking. :)

12. djc664

djc664 Member

I have used the Image Scaler to "paint" Transparent PNGs that are rectangular. It's a little bit clunky interface-wise, though. Instructions on how to use it are here:
    http://help.mindgene.com/tools/map-tools/image-scaler

I have a few defaults, like arrow overlays for stairs that indicate which way is down, or $ marks for secret doors that are 1x2 for straight walls or 2x2 to line up with diagonals. You can use the visibility controls on tiles the same as creatures, and they don't clutter up in the roster either.

13. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

the problem i see here is this -

Monsters - the only option is a tile identifier, this is acceptable but to be honest I would like the ability to use an actual sprite with transparency.
    Monster chests - works but what about locks or traps on the chest? As a GM I would need the ability to prevent the players from accessing the chest BEFORE they 'unlock' it through role play as well as trigger traps as necessary
    Items - all are outlined and obvious, what about a gm trigger or something allowing a player to find it without metagaming
    Items - need ability to prevent players from seeing unidentified name / abilities (a work around would be GM makes two items and replaces one with the other once identified)
    Universal issue - objects should not have a 'square' on them. If a square can be displayed there must be a way to 'hide' this outline
    Universal issue - limiting an object to a square shape, this is unfortunate as some rather large items will exist in game that do not conform to this shape

14. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

The only work around for items / chests until such features are added is to create the container or item, set it to invisible, and make it visible once it is discovered or unlocked via role play