1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] Importing Hero Lab Files

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by gmgrigsby, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gmgrigsby

gmgrigsby New Member

I have been using Hero Lab for a while and have seen the information on their site talking about the integration with D20Pro. I have downloaded a trial to test out D20Pro and how well the import works, but as of yet I have not been able to get anything to import. Maybe I don't have a clue but in case it isn't me, could you go thru the steps to import a character start to finish.

Thanks in advance.

Glen Grigsby

Edit:
    Is this just an obvious process, or does nobody have an answer? I still have not been able to figure this out.

Please assist

SOLUTION - DAN EDIT: The current fix (until Hero Labs can fix their export) is this:
    0) Edit the .hl20pro file in Notepad
    1) Remove the line at the bottom that says: 'Created With Hero LabĀ® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!'
    2) Save as, or change the filename extension to .xml instead of .hld20pro

2. gmgrigsby

gmgrigsby New Member

Re: Importing Hero Lab Files

OK, finally find the option in HeroLab to output to D20pro format but now when I try and import that file I get an error that says:

Unable to import from C:\HeroLab\Portfolios\d20pro.xml
    Unable to load document

Glen G.

Edit

Here is the Character info:

DRAUPNIR TORVALDS CR 9
    Male Dwarf Fighter 5 Sorcerer 4
    LG Medium Humanoid
    Init +3; Senses Darkvision (60 feet); Listen +2, Spot +5
    Languages Common, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon
    ---------------------
    AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10
    (+3 Dex)
    hp 86 (5d10+4d4+36)
    Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +5
    ---------------------
    Speed 20ft.
    Melee weapon +1 Silver Waraxe, Dwarven +12/+7 (1d10+3) and
    +1 Silver Waraxe, Dwarven +12/+7 (1d10+3) and
    Masterwork Silver Waraxe, Dwarven +12/+7 (1d10+2) and
    Shortsword +10/+5 (1d6+3) and
    Unarmed Strike +10/+5 (1d3+3) and
    Warhammer +10/+5 (1d8+3) and
    Zormach'el (Wolven Slayer) +13/+8 (2d6+7)
    Ranged weapon +1 Longbow, Composite (Str +2) +11/+6 (1d8+3) and
    Crossbow, Light +8/+3 (1d8) and
    Sling +10/+5 (1d4+3)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Base Atk +7/+2; Grp +10

Combat Gear Unarmed Strike, Gauntlet (from Armor), Warhammer, Sling, Shortsword, Crossbow, Light, +1 Silver Waraxe, Dwarven, Masterwork Silver Waraxe, Dwarven, Bolts, Crossbow, Bullets, Sling, Masterwork Chain Shirt, +1 Chainmail, Mithral Shirt, +1 Silver Waraxe, Dwarven, +1 Longbow, Composite (Str +2), Shield of Mercy, Dwarven Plate, Zormach'el (Wolven Slayer)
    Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 4, +10 melee touch, +10 ranged touch):
    2 (DC 15, 4/day) - Scorching Ray
    1 (DC 14, 7/day) - Color Spray, Sleep, Fist of Stone
    0 (DC 13, 6/day) - Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Caltrops
    ---------------------
    Abilities Str 16 Dex 16 Con 19 Int 18 Wis 10 Cha 16
    SQ +1 to attack rolls vs Orcs and Goblinoids, +2 to Appraise and Craft checks on stone or metal items, +2 to saves vs poison, spells & spell-like effects, +3 to Appraise checks while familiar is within 1 mile., Cleave, Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar (Su), Empathic Link (Su), Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Share Spells, Stability, Stonecunning, Sturdy, Weapon Familiarity - Dwarven Waraxe & Urgrosh
    Feats Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Martial Weapon Proficiency - All, Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Scribe Scroll, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency - All, Simple Weapon Proficiency - All, Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus - Waraxe, Dwarven
    Skills Appraise +7, Balance +5, Climb +7, Concentration +12, Craft: Armorsmithing +8, Craft: Stonecarving +12, Hide +8, Intimidate +9, Jump +4, Knowledge: Arcana +12, Listen +2, Move Silently +8, Ride +7, Spellcraft +9, Spot +5, Swim +7, Tumble +11
    Possessions combat gear plus Aroma of Curdled Death, Artisan's tools, Backpack (1 @ 40 lbs), Backpack (8 @ 40.5 lbs), Bag of Holding I (26 @ 240.5 lbs), Bedroll, Boots of Elvenkind, Boots of Elvenkind, Boots of Elvenkind, Case, map or scroll (4 @ 0 lbs), Chalk, 1 piece, Cloak of Elvenkind, Cloak of Elvenkind, Cloak of Elvenkind, Cold weather outfit, Crystal Ball, See Invisibility, Dragon Egg, Explorer's Outfit (Free), Flint and steel, Hilda Ungart, Horn of Fog, Iron Bands of Binding, MoonFire Soulstone(Relic), Potion of Cure Light Wounds, Pouch, belt (5 @ 1.5 lbs), Rations, trail (per day), Ring of Shrouds, Rope, silk (50 ft.), Sack (empty), Scroll: Burning Hands, Sleet Storm, Scroll: Explosive Runes, Magic Weapon, Greater, Scroll: Mage Armor, Scroll: Misdirection, Troll Gut Rope, Wand of Sound Burst, Waterskin, Whetstone, Witchlight Reservoir
    ---------------------
    +1 to attack rolls vs Orcs and Goblinoids +1 racial bonus to attacks against Orcs and Goblinoids.
    +2 to Appraise and Craft checks on stone or metal items +2 racial bonus to Appraise and Craft checks on stone or metal items.
    +2 to saves vs poison, spells & spell-like effects +2 racial bonus to Poison, Spells and Spell-Like effects.
    +3 to Appraise checks while familiar is within 1 mile. This ability is active when your familiar is within one mile.
    +4 dodge bonus to AC vs Giants +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the Giant type.
    Cleave If you kill a creature, you get an extra attack.
    Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
    Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar (Su) Your familiar can deliver touch spells for you.
    Empathic Link (Su) You have an empathic link with your Arcane Familiar.
    Great Cleave You can use Cleave an unlimited number of times per round.
    Improved Bull Rush Bull Rush at +4 to push back. No attack of opportunity.
    Mounted Combat Once per round you can attempt to negate a hit to your mount in combat.
    Power Attack You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
    Share Spells Spells cast on you can also affect your familiar, if it's within 5 feet.
    Stability +4 to avoid being bull rushed or tripped while standing.
    Stonecunning +2 bonus to Search vs unusual stonework. Free check within 10 feet.
    Sturdy Your base speed is never modified by encumbrance.
    Weapon Familiarity - Dwarven Waraxe & Urgrosh Dwarven Waraxes and Dwarven Urgroshes count as Martial weapons.

3. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Glen,

I am not the right person to answer this question, but I have forwarded it to the right people. Keep an eye out over the next couple of days and your answer should be here. If you do not hear something soon, please email at nick@mindgene.com.

Best,

Nick

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met gmgrigsby,

I am contacting you directly to get the copy of the .xml file outputted by Hero Lab. We'll get to the bottom of this, thanks for your patience.

5. raethryn

raethryn New Member

I;'m also having problems. Maybe it's my perchance for I D 10 T errors but I am getting on xml import:

Unable to import from C:\\Herolab\Porfolios\amon.xml
    bad signature.

Is there are step by step of herolab to d20pro importing for character data? I probably haven't looked hard enough but little help please?

R

6. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hello Raethryn,

I have forwarded your question to the oracle (aka someone other than me :D ). J/K, I have asked our developers to take a look and someone should be contacting you soon. Feel free to PM or email me (nick@mindgene.com) if you have any other questions.

Best regards and Happy Gaming,

Nick

7. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

@Raethryn I noticed you posted over in the LoneWolf forums. Did that correct the problem for you?

8. ogexam

ogexam Member

The steps to import from Herolabs are as follows:
    • 1. Create character in Herolabs
      2. In Herolabs export the character:
      • a. Click on File->Output Extensions->d20Pro Output
        b. Pick name and location to save the file (Leave the .xml extension)
      3. In d20Pro import the character
      • a. Open the creature library
        b. Click Import
        • i. Find location of saved file exported form Herolabs
          ii. Select file and click ok
      4. Creature will now be in a module of Hero Lab
      5. Play with creature

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

Please email me the .xml file if you are having issues.

All tests thus far seem to work fine.

without your exported creature I cannot determine what is causing the error.

You should be able to attach the file to a post.

10. raethryn

raethryn New Member

Yea same issue:
    I do as told but I get this in the menu: NO extensions defined.

Ill see if the Hero Lab boys fix it.

11. Dan

Dan Member

Please attach your exported hero labs file (zip if need be) to a post, so that we can help you more effectively. Thanks!

12. raethryn

raethryn New Member

Ok little break down in communication here:

I have no hero labs files. I do not get a d20 extension in my menu in order to create them. Until this problem is answered by the hero labs guys I have no files for you :(..

Ben

13. ogexam

ogexam Member

Maybe you have an older version of Herolab then, that did not have the export to d20Pro yet.

Are you trying to import one of the Herolab portfolio saved characters?

14. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

Same for me. :( Could it be because I am trying to use 4th Edition?

Guy Runkle

15. Dan

Dan Member

Possibly. We have full support for the 3.5 characters, I know that. I don't know about the 4E support with Hero Labs.

However, we DO have seamless import functionality from WOTC's character builder. Just click Import in d20pro's creature library, then choose your WOTC DDI character file.

16. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi,

Currently we only offer compatibility for Hero Lab 3.5

We are talking with them about getting other game sets (ie - PFS, 4E, etc) and it seems to be just a matter of making happen. Neither company has any opposition to this, more of a lack of time. :D

Please stay tuned.

Best,

Nick

17. bocephus

bocephus New Member

I was under the impression that there was full support for Hero Lab Pathfinder characters in d20Pro?

Support is listed on this page:
    http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?conte ... aying_game

Anyway, i've only imported one Hero Lab Pathfinder character and it worked fine with the following caveats:

Class skills don't get computed, so you need to manually add them under Misc.

In the Notes:

Importer Error Log:
    Unknown skill: Speak Common Ranks: 1 Misc Mod: 0
    Unknown skill: Speak Elven Ranks: 1 Misc Mod: 0
    Unknown skill: Speak Goblin Ranks: 1 Misc Mod: 0

That's all I've noticed so far.

18. Dan

Dan Member

Hey Bo,

We only claim full compatibility with Hero Labs 3.5, but that doesn't mean that the other versions won't work with minor bugs. We've been importing from their Pathfinder builds for our monthly games, for example.

One thing that will reduce the bugs you get on import, especially in regards to skills and classes, is the presence of the proper txt files in your dm\res\manually specified folder.

You should check out our Pathfinder and 4E pages on our wiki, which supply you with the proper replacement files. Basically, when you were importing the characters in your example, d20pro's skills.txt file still listed only 3.5 skills and threw an error when trying to place the imports. Adding those skills to your skills.txt file or replacing the file with the right one would eliminate those.

Pathfinder page: http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other ... pathfinder
    4E page: http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d

19. bocephus

bocephus New Member

I was able to get my Hero Lab made Pathfinder character into d20Pro for the most part, but one thing I did notice is that my domain spells for my cleric didnt go into my spell list, but stayed in the notes section.

Also it seems known languages gets listed as an import error despite having the updated Pathfinder .txt files.

Importer Error Log:
    Unknown skill: Speak Common Ranks: 1 Misc Mod: 0

20. Dan

Dan Member

Noted.

Are your domains standard ones that are listed in the classes file, or uncommon (from accessories or other books)?