1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] Importing Hero Lab Files

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by gmgrigsby, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

Re: Importing Hero Lab Files

Hi all

i'm able to import characters in d20pro from an herolab output but...

... where the characters are imported ??

Actually, i'm using the import menu from Library and choose the .hld20pro file recorded with herolab-PFRPG. The file seems Ok, no error but i can't find where is the character in my lib...

Thanks for help :)

2. Gicker

Gicker New Member

Having the same problem as Yaourth.

Attached Files:

3. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

A strange point : when i import a file, d20pro seems create a .obj in the dm/stored/creature directory. But the Finder show working .obj (the creatures already in library) as Unix file and .obj created by Import as Document file. Same extension but not same filetype... i'm not sure it's really important but i wonder this could be a clue about a head-file issue.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

The problem is actually on the Herolab side. They are working the fix now and will have it the fix hopefully in the next update to the pathfinder rule set.

The issue is the last line that is appended "Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!" This was added accidently.

Just delete that line from the file and it will import.

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

Heads up on another issue.

If you have a character that has a lot of spells, for instance a 3rd lvl druid, 3rd lvl wizard, 10th lvl mystic theurge it will not export correctly from HeroLabs. They are working this issue as well.

6. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

It's perfect !!

Import working fine now :)

Thanks a lot !

7. Dan

Dan Member

Marking Solved

8. ChocolateCoveredGM

ChocolateCoveredGM New Member

Hello, First off let me say that I love your product as do my players!

However I am having a small issue when trying to import characters that I have exported for HeroLabs. They are Pathfinder characters and I have downloaded and replace the proper files. I open the hld20pro file with Notepad++ and remove the following line "Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com" then save it and try to import it and nothing happens... am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

9. Gicker

Gicker New Member

Yep same here. Still no dice after removing that line. Probably should be on the Hero lab forums instead of here, but there's a thread here, so hopefully they're looking over here.

For the record the character I am trying to import is an inquisitor. I also tried a cavalier. Haven't tried anything else yet. Both are only level 3.

10. ChocolateCoveredGM

ChocolateCoveredGM New Member

Yay!! got it working... opened with notepad and removed line and the saved (this time remembering to save as .xml file) works great love this program!!!

11. Dan

Dan Member

12. Gicker

Gicker New Member

Yup, that did the trick for me too.

So for future reference for others who might have this problem before hero labs publishes a fix in the program:

1) Remove the line at the bottom that says: 'Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!'
    2) Save as, or change the filename extension to .xml instead of .hld20pro

13. vecna

vecna New Member

We are not out of the woods yet!

I just purchased the latest Hero Lab Pathfinder product with its version of the monster manual.

It is Hero Labs version 3.6

I own D20 Pro version 2.1 and can not get the file to import. I recieve the same error everyone else gets but the fix of .xml does not work. In notepad there is no more mention of developed by herolabs in the file so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I downloaded the pathfinder d20pro files here on the website and placed them in d20pro\dm\res\Manually Specified
    Was I suppose to place them anywhere else?

Honestly Im kinda clueless on whats stopping it from porting over.

Any Ideas?

14. ogexam

ogexam Member

The beastiary edition to herolab has found some holes in our importer. Due to things like damage being listed as '-' instead of '1d6', and many other minor bugs. Things that were only created by monsters. The importer was created with PCs in mind, since at the time we did not know that there would be a monster part of Herolabs.

I am currently fixing the bugs and enchancements to the importer for these issues and the DDI issues created in their latest update.

A fix will be out soon!

15. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Just to verify ...

Will D20 and Hero Lab exchange information about 4e characters, or is it only the 3.5 to 3.5 that is being fixed?

16. dragonlady

dragonlady Member

So this issue isn't actually resolved then.

17. ogexam

ogexam Member

Yes and no... the original issue was resolved.

Then new issues arrose when HL did their latest update added the beastiary.

Those new issues are resolved in coding on our side, is currently in testing, and will be released soon, there by resolving the new issue as well as the old issue.

18. ogexam

ogexam Member

Right now we are waiting on Hero Labs to build their xml file for 4e. Once they have this created, I will put in the d20Pro side. We are currently waiting on Hero Labs for their 4e importing.

19. vecna

vecna New Member

if thats the case could you put up the fix for all of us 3.5/pathfinder peeps here

i cant import any herolab guys, it will only accept the term "character" for wording and the d20pro says there is an error in reading any of there file.

once the fix is up we can import any monster thats pathfinder specific and have him all ready to go in 3 seconds thereby giving us DMs a break.

20. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Well I see that 2.1.1 is available for download.

Did the import 4e from HL functionality make it in? If so, how do I make it work?

Using the "import" feeature in D20, on the only file I can export from HL has no effect (It neither imports the character, or creates an error message).