1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Kingmaker Campaign

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by Daeruin, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I was just wondering if anyone here has run the Kingmaker adventure path using d20pro. I am currently running it for my group. I have all the maps and NPC pictures and would be happy to share. However, I haven't entered all the NPCs into d20pro yet, and I was hoping that someone else here has already done it and would be willing to share. I would really appreciate it.

2. neofax

neofax New Member

I am running it, but not using d20Pro. If you would like, I can make the creatures and such in HeroLabs and export and send them. I enjoy doing such frivolous work. What book are you on?

3. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Hey, if you enjoy that, I would be totally indebted to you. We're about halfway through the first book. I do have all the monsters from the Bestiary, so I only need the unique creatures. I have entered a few of them already, so the ones I have left are... Davik Nettles, the tatzlwyrms, the thylacine, and all the unique creatures and NPCs from the Sootscale kobolds and the Stag Lord's fort. What book are you currently on?

4. Renraku

Renraku New Member

I am running Kingmaker and about to switch to D20pro from maptool.

Once I get the hang of D20pro Im more than willing to help with building a Kingmaker data set. (since I have to do it anyway, lol)

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Renraku, that's cool. What book are you on? I'd be happy to share what I have if you need it.

6. Renraku

Renraku New Member

We are on book 1, the group made it through a couple sessions and then a series of events forced an extended hold... much to my dismay. About to start back up in the next couple weeks, glad I found d20pro seems like it will speed up combat quite a bit.

7. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Cool, so we're pretty close to each other. If you want, feel free to PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have. Or I suppose I could upload them somewhere, but I'm not really savvy when it comes to that. I don't have a Dropbox account or anything like that.

8. neofax

neofax New Member

We are about 3/4 thru book 2, but I have changed book 2 quite a bit as Kingmaker being a sandbox, it is really easy to add a lot of extra stuff. Also, I don't adhere strictly to XP. I tell my players when they can level up. OK, I will start on this during the days I don't have a game.

9. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Neofax, I've recently adopted the same practice of just telling the players when to level. Frankly, I don't have enough XP as a DM to know the best way to level in order to keep my players on track with the books. This is my first Pathfinder campaign. So I figured I'll just tell them when to level and make it easy on myself. For the same reason, though, I'll be sticking as closely as I can to the books as written. I don't feel comfortable enough to do a lot of improvising—not to mention my lack of time. If I had more time I'd be making up my own campaign. :)

How often do you play? I'm curious how long you think it will take you to progress through book 2. We only play every other week for about 3 hrs, so we're going pretty slowly. On the other hand, we don't do a lot of freestyle RPing, either. My players are in it for the combat, not exploring the feelings of their characters. (Unfortunately. :) )

10. Zandari

Zandari New Member

My group (also switched to d20Pro from maptools) just finished cleaning up the fort in Varnhold (3rd book). We had a combat with 20 evildoers, 8 PCs, 2 animal companions, and 2 undead minions on screen. I expanded the map out to a range of 150 feet from the walls of the fort (those guys have crossbows, right? need to have at least one range increment from the walls on the map, in my opinion).

It was completely epic. The combat opened with the main bad guy dropping the party necromancer from full hp to -2 at a range of 120' with a crit from a large heavy crossbow. As you might imagine, this made for some excitement over the next 8 and a half rounds. We couldn't possibly have managed a combat this complex without d20Pro, its initiative tracking, and its effect tracking.

I have some resources (maps, mostly) available, if folks are interested, and have generated a lot of the bad guys as tokens. Do note, however, that I am using the beefed up versions of bad guys described on the paizo forums for a 6 PC party, because of the large number of PCs. This generally amounts to adding additional bad guys and/or throwing the advanced template on a few, but it works out well. Shoot me you e-mails on here if you are interested in some of the maps and whatnot zandari02 at gmail dot com.

I am also using the old "you will level up when I deem it appropriate" method. Just keeping up with loot and PC wealth is tough enough with this many players, trying to figure experience from every hex explored, every building built, and every bad guy dispatched would make me nuts. I figure each book has 2 or 3 main plot points, and covers 2 or 3 levels. Level x when they start the book, x+1 after finishing major plot point a, x+2 after plot point b, x+3 after facing the big bad guy at the end of the book. Easy, squeezy, everybody's-happeezy.

11. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Zandari, I'd love to snag your Kingmaker materials for d20pro. I started out with a group of 8 players as well, but it's dropped down to 5 at this point. But I still find that my PCs are too powerful for most of the encounters in book 1. I invariably have to beef up the encounters with extra bad guys or advanced templates. Of course, we haven't hit any of the bigger encounters yet, like the mite's lair, let alone the Stag Lord's fort. We'll see how that goes. Anyway, I'll email you here in a minute.

12. Dragonmaster13

On the issue of leveling. I had read that Pathfinder used the Medium Advancement Track for experience in their games.

13. Vilrandir

Vilrandir New Member

Hi guys !
    I'm also playing the Kingmaker campaign and I have uploaded almost all the stuff needed for the first book, including maps, NPCs and monsters. I'd be more than happy to share that if someone wants it, although I see others have already done this.
    I'd also like to ask some of the people who've uploaded more stuff for the other Kingmaker modules if I could get a copy of your stuff, it would probably save me a lot of time and I'd appreciate it.

14. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Vilrandir, a couple people have offered to share, but I guess they haven't gotten around to it yet. I would love to get your stuff before my next game. How would you like to arrange the transfer? PM or email me if you wish. I'd love to hear from you.

15. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

16. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I checked out your link and spent a few minutes looking around, but didn't see anything right off the bat. Maybe it's tucked away somewhere not obvious. Anyone else see anything?

17. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

18. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Sweet! Thanks, hawkwind. You rock.

19. hawkwind

hawkwind New Member

20. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Hey there! I downloaded those Kingmaker files you linked to. However, I'm not sure how to load them into d20pro. The files are named, for example, Kressle.por but I don't see anywhere in d20pro to put *.por files, and they can't be imported as creatures. Any ideas?